What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Thanks, Brad. Funny to see Lennon or Dylan way closer to the top than Rodgers. One thing is musical relevance; another one is vocal skills.

It’s also a matter of preference, which is subjective. Just because 179 “experts” ranked them, that doesn’t mean we have to agree. 

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s also a matter of preference, which is subjective. Just because 179 “experts” ranked them, that doesn’t mean we have to agree. 

Of course it is partly a matter of preference, but still, there is some objective elements as to which singers do have better vocal skills (at least that is how I interprete "greatest singers"). Dylan is a genius, probably one of the 5 most relevant folk-rock-pop musicians of our era, and a favourite of mine, but... seventh place in a "greatest singers" list seems like a joke. Conversely, Witney Houston had little relevance for the history of pop music but... oh, THAT voice!

However, I can agree with Aretha, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke or Otis Redding up there.

Oh, and sorry for my stubbornness. I used to be very keen on making lists... :) 

I recently had a long discussion with some friends on "50 greatest Spanish sportsmen/women". Just for fun...

Can we agree on the 10 greatest jazz tenor sax players? Hawk goest first, of course... :) 

Edited by EKE BBB

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Of course it is partly a matter of preference, but still, there is some objective elements as to which singers do have better vocal skills (at least that is how I interprete "greatest singers"). Dylan is a genius, probably one of the 5 most relevant folk-rock-pop musicians of our era, and a favourite of mine, but... seventh place in a "greatest singers" list seems like a joke. Conversely, Witney Houston had little relevance for the history of pop music but... oh, THAT voice!

However, I can agree with Aretha, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke or Otis Redding up there.

Oh, and sorry for my stubbornness. I used to be very keen on making lists... :) 

I recently had a long discussion with some friends on "50 greatest Spanish sportsmen/women". Just for fun...

Can we agree on the 10 greatest jazz tenor sax players? Hawk goest first, of course... :) 

I definitely agree with the top 5 but I’m more interested in the 50 greatest sportsmen/women. Where does Raul and Ramos rank?  How about Santana? My first Wimbledon was seeing him win. Nadal must be near the top, if not the top.  What about Contador and Indurain?

11 hours ago, Brad said:

I definitely agree with the top 5 but I’m more interested in the 50 greatest sportsmen/women. Where does Raul and Ramos rank?  How about Santana? My first Wimbledon was seeing him win. Nadal must be near the top, if not the top.  What about Contador and Indurain?

https://www.marca.com/otros-deportes/2019/09/17/5d7ffeeeca474162048b4596.html

Here's the list, as published by Marca last September. Totally agree on the top-3. After that, I have my own ideas... :)