What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

Much better than her first solo album from 1991, ‘When You’re A Boy’, which was a strong disappointment for me when it came out.

Agreed.  That one was what CBS wanted Hoffs to sound like.   The one we like is what Hoffs wanted to sound like.

Seems as if the conventional wisdom is that Some Girls was the Stones' last "great" album... does Tattoo You qualify for the honor instead?  (and gotta confess I'm not sure I've heard any of the subsequent Stones albums all the way through)  It at least deserves extra credit for the presence of Sonny Rollins.  EDIT:  looking around online a bit leads me to think that perhaps the CW already *is* that the title below is the "last great album."  (And yes, ironic that it's essentially a pulled-together album of 1970s outtakes that Jagger finished off)

R-1931909-1559219585-1890.jpeg.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

55 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Seems as if the conventional wisdom is that Some Girls was the Stones' last "great" album... does Tattoo You qualify for the honor instead?  (and gotta confess I'm not sure I've heard any of the subsequent Stones albums all the way through)  It at least deserves extra credit for the presence of Sonny Rollins.  EDIT:  looking around online a bit leads me to think that perhaps the CW already *is* that the title below is the "last great album."  (And yes, ironic that it's essentially a pulled-together album of 1970s outtakes that Jagger finished off)

R-1931909-1559219585-1890.jpeg.jpg

I'll take "Exile on Main Street" as their last truly great one.

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

R-369883-1594750551-4786.jpeg.jpg

That one was one of my favorites ca. 1985. And now with this

Amazon.com: Heroes: CDs y Vinilo

With Heroes, perhaps my all time favorite Bowie song.

On 11/23/2021 at 2:56 AM, ghost of miles said:

Seems as if the conventional wisdom is that Some Girls was the Stones' last "great" album... does Tattoo You qualify for the honor instead?

I would say yes. I like it very much, and it sports their hit Start me up from when I saw them once live in 1982 and with which they opened their shows. And the great Waiting on a friend. After that I didn't care for any new material from them anymore.

Edited by Bluesnik

15 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Right now, the first Smiths album I ever bought (autumn 1984) and still one of my favorites:

HatfulofHollow84.jpg

That album, though not being a career album (just a comp), is very, very good. And contains some of their best songs. Autumn 84? So early? I thought it was from later on. Their first is also from 1984. So maybe it's a collection of singles.

Edited by Bluesnik

On 11/25/2021 at 7:15 PM, ghost of miles said:

Yes! I’ve been listening to this one a lot the past two weeks. 
Right now, the first Smiths album I ever bought (autumn 1984) and still one of my favorites:

HatfulofHollow84.jpg

Definitely one of the best Smiths albums! Looking forward to Johnny Marr's new album, too. Some of it already available for streaming.