What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

They were very important to many people and made some great music.

Thanks, I'll enjoy the watch with more than a tinge of regret and a bad taste for how Morrissey turned out when his true colours were revealed.

However, I wouldn't go within several miles of Morrissey's work now (but this is straying into potentially political so I'll leave it there).

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/18/2023 at 5:44 PM, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b2735270e5edbc5020d84db6e289

Your frequent mention of Prine made me want to hear him. But that was a while ago. But the other day a friend of mine gave me a CD of him, which I listened to on Saturday. The Missing years. And after searching a bit I found out it's from 1990. I thought it was from the 70s. But it was very good. And I also found out it won that year's Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk album. And I also saw at my friend's house this one. She gave it to me because she already had it on vinyl.

4 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Your frequent mention of Prine made me want to hear him. But that was a while ago. But the other day a friend of mine gave me a CD of him, which I listened to on Saturday. The Missing years. And after searching a bit I found out it's from 1990. I thought it was from the 70s. But it was very good. And I also found out it won that year's Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk album. And I also saw at my friend's house this one. She gave it to me because she already had it on vinyl.

Both as songwriter and singer you hardly can go wrong with him ....

On 2/17/2023 at 1:33 PM, ghost of miles said:

Here's the October 1986 Nottingham concert.  Amazing performance from beginning to end:

Final number of the night, "Bigmouth Strikes Again," with several young concertgoers invading the stage to dance around the 3:00 mark (a frequent occurrence at Smiths concerts, I gather), hanging onto Morrissey while he sings and dancing around Johnny Marr, who ends it all with a leap and final chord as the stage goes black.  Wow! So wish I could have been there, but watching via YouTube at my convenience isn't a bad substitute:

It's hard to put across sometimes just how much bands like the Smiths meant to a certain young contingent back in the 1980s. No surprise that Simon Goddard's book about their music (modeled on Ian MacDonald's amazing Beatles book Revolution In The Head, which my friend Pete and I refer to as "the Bible") is titled Songs That Saved Your Life, a line taken from Morrissey's lyrics for "Rubber Ring."  I remember hearing the report on MTV in late summer 1987 that they were breaking up, and it felt like a 1970 Beatles moment to me... the sense that something more than a band had ended.  I envy your having seen them.  

I saw the Smiths in 85 and 86 in NY. They were definitely good in their time.

After they broke up I gravitated towards Johnny Marr. Only saw him once after that (w/Modest Mouse), but have seen him several times since he established his solo career. Always a great show!

HI50A8hym923q5WewNRTiJF0Z5zgAy7zyt4YK6smjx7iIyAcroqNGLkp4EANEHKCJVRV4wvg5Eu5j2VMz6M2es7WoyltDEUMhNwwGqOY_Vx0cQmUL_tdUIxaWKvH0qGuFQ6ydwx0fAg8YkshImVPzeKgaKD61H6H4GMS6Fti448CNgMFnKMzvRTGKZU65RqEbiV4srbFYj8GXmpPwVs0uFjquKFnvM7ESE02UmExFDlUb8EhmgYFF0QoIH9-dA52JCeU7yYDd6RsyeNIN-xhyBAfBcssHkJXMstKpC9uz-TDRtHOlplsz9-G1ZwnahdOgDLKic51ZWC-weVJw-xWbS-798O-xbeQB2pjdP5zk4QYk_p0JEMVkmIbENNoywAs_zIY6jN-CJlDH8dqA2L-sFB3XQOmY6Msf645AwF0pTJ3--KYaUvEOkgJkTZ76AX_IaAY-ozCEtfdH-U1BuxI-La8QAy6MhcD7fMSMuyamUoQ3HarLp4hBv1FLavihXYwstBNZPVhFfitbxBPWTgyRlntIwO5upBgGQ6aS86UEwi5Pajt4Z08ijc2z3AUDRmr8a6YzTK1gyZXYwEVlKD7CSi9bAkkug-tw3dp7pYdZWePd0g9hqLde-m98nU5Otf5a0-m9_HNUUUFbWBYsmtIukuIoShLZpRH1tadSpvNuNuntKt1BnH7ItpTArnY1y-AQnXOkMq4ySFgG5Xunzz1xytQ9GCG3Qph1zlG70QUlRJfdIe_Tv6Es72N112sFp4X_GKxgps9h9Q4FWu6A1D73mf3k3CQ9wLt_oTb4nlARhp25kzz0oJUlZSfXpSVPpBTMGeTE7v9an4ThfJn9oHLsmwLou4Xn5uSH4UG2kNXoenOxPhgimR1VLClgjbBZFmR8cCjdt3SNPSczbtDoPQDNaLfY64uuXV6-m_UczNbd2CkYA=w1707-h1280-s-no?authuser=0