What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That takes me back...

Right?! 🙂 Oh man, in the mid-80s this was one of many bands I listened to obsessively for awhile, as did several of my friends. I had Treasure on LP and a tape made from my best friend’s collection of their 12-inch singles. Last night I rewatched a Smiths concert from Nottingham, October 1986, and was marveling all over again at the wealth of wonderful artists and albums that came out of that early/mid-80s college rock era, and how fortunate I was to see many of the performers in concert, often at small or medium-sized venues. (Never did see the Smiths, unfortunately, though they played Chicago twice in that period… but being able to see the Nottingham concert on YouTube now makes up for it to a large degree.)

Edited by ghost of miles

12 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Right?! 🙂 Oh man, in the mid-80s this was one of many bands I listened to obsessively for awhile, as did several of my friends. I had Treasure on LP and a tape made from my best friend’s collection of their 12-inch singles. Last night I rewatched a Smiths concert from Nottingham, October 1986, and was marveling all over again at the wealth of wonderful artists and albums that came out of that early/mid-80s college rock era, and how fortunate I was to see many of the performers in concert, often at small or medium-sized venues. (Never did see the Smiths, unfortunately, though they played Chicago twice in that period… but being able to see the Nottingham concert on YouTube now makes up for it to a large degree.)

yep, great time. I think the Cocteau Twins lent themselves to obsessive listening somehow.  I only ever saw The Smiths at an outdoor benefit gig which is mad seeing I was in London for all that period and going to gigs at least weekly in  small/medium sized venues like yours

a2290018590_16.jpg

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

yep, great time. I think the Cocteau Twins lent themselves to obsessive listening somehow.  I only ever saw The Smiths at an outdoor benefit gig which is mad seeing I was in London for all that period and going to gigs at least weekly in  small/medium sized venues like yours

a2290018590_16.jpg

Here's the October 1986 Nottingham concert.  Amazing performance from beginning to end:

Final number of the night, "Bigmouth Strikes Again," with several young concertgoers invading the stage to dance around the 3:00 mark (a frequent occurrence at Smiths concerts, I gather), hanging onto Morrissey while he sings and dancing around Johnny Marr, who ends it all with a leap and final chord as the stage goes black.  Wow! So wish I could have been there, but watching via YouTube at my convenience isn't a bad substitute:

It's hard to put across sometimes just how much bands like the Smiths meant to a certain young contingent back in the 1980s. No surprise that Simon Goddard's book about their music (modeled on Ian MacDonald's amazing Beatles book Revolution In The Head, which my friend Pete and I refer to as "the Bible") is titled Songs That Saved Your Life, a line taken from Morrissey's lyrics for "Rubber Ring."  I remember hearing the report on MTV in late summer 1987 that they were breaking up, and it felt like a 1970 Beatles moment to me... the sense that something more than a band had ended.  I envy your having seen them.