Konitz/Solal: Star Eyes - Hamburg 1983 (Hatology)

DrJ

I stupidly passed on a very cheap cut out copy of this CD last weekend...wasn't familiar with it at the time, but in checking out All Music Guide, they rave about it. Still, Thom Jurek is the reviewer, and he goes into rapture in just about all of his reviews, so kind of useless.

Where would people place this date in the canon of either man? It seems like it would have a HIGH chance of being a major winner.

It's been a while since I played this one, but I gave it an unreserved recommendation at the time. Konitz at his best. :tup

I completely agree. This is one of the best Konitz dates in my opinion. And Solal is just about the most interesting jazz pianist out there. I think all the hype surrounding Jason Moran's recent releases should be applied to Solal's recent Blue Note release. I think Blue Note is releasing another Solal recording this fall.

listening to this right now. verrrry nice! :tup

Konitz is weaving his story lines around Solal's inobtrusive piano. There is a whole lot going on and it is really rewarding to listen with ears wide open. On the other hand, my attention has been wandering now and then (nothing to do with the music, but with my multi-tasking here) and it's really nice to have it in the background as well. I am no expert on either artist, but I'd say Konitz is having a great day. Both of them are actually and the way these guys bounce the ideas around is, well :tup

I completely agree. This is one of the best Konitz dates in my opinion. And Solal is just about the most interesting jazz pianist out there.

While I do not own the CD under discussion, I expect to get it evenually as I do own a prior recording of Konitz with Solal in a quartet setting (with NHOP and Daniel Humair) which is excellent. That CD, is titled JAZZ A JUAN (i.e., Antibes Juan-les-Pins, July '74) released by Steeplechase (SCCD-31072). :tup

When the f is Sinesio going to either release those Horos on CD or lease them to someone who will?

I ask once to a friend who knows Sinesio and the story behind Horo the same question.

He answers these:

"Sinesio doesn't own the copyright of the quasi totality of the records he has published on Horo.

It's the reason why they don't make it to CD.

Nearly all has been recorded by the RAI where Sinesio worked as a producer.

This means than most of the Horo's LP was bootlegs or semi-bootlegs what forbidde them to reappear on another support right now because this session where produced to be broadcast by the Rai. Not edited on LP.

Horo wasn't much different from Byg.

The only difference is that Byg had a contract with the musicians they recorded even if they never respected any of these contracts.

Sinesio and Horo has none of that."

Edited by P.L.M

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't yet made it through the full recording - with the baby, much of my listening is in 15-20 minute chunks in the car during the week. But partly this is because I keep restarting the disc as I've enjoyed the first 2 tracks so much I want to keep hearing them.

Just Friends

Star Eyes

Are there any two better tunes for a great jazz improviser? There's two of those here. Every time you listen you hear something different, and the remarkable degree of interplay becomes more and more apparent. Some day I'll make it to the rest of the disc.

So far the only slight down side is the recording - like a few of the Hat archival live recordings I've heard this sounds like it must have been cleaned up from either a cassette or otherwise not top of the line master, and there's far too much ambient "big room" sound for my taste, which puts a dent in what is clearly (from a musical standpoint) highly intimate music. It's not overly distracting but certainly unfortunate...I like this type of jazz with a much "closer" feeling in the recording, a la Getz/Dailey's POETRY that I've been raving about recently.

Musically though, while clearly quite different in the approach of the artists, STAR EYES sits right up with that one.

Edited by DrJ

• 5 years later...

Speaking of Konitz/Solal vinyl don't overlook "Duplicity", a 2 record set on Horo.

I was going to post this somewhere else but as it's mentioned here and in another Konitz/Solal thread I thought I'd just plant it here. It looks like somebody has gotten around to getting this on CD. I saw it in Tower here the other day, I think I'll have to pick it up. I take it it's up there with "Star Eyes" ?

Duplicity.

41m-OMcZkFL._SS500_.jpg

Speaking of Konitz/Solal vinyl don't overlook "Duplicity", a 2 record set on Horo.

I was going to post this somewhere else but as it's mentioned here and in another Konitz/Solal thread I thought I'd just plant it here. It looks like somebody has gotten around to getting this on CD. I saw it in Tower here the other day, I think I'll have to pick it up. I take it it's up there with "Star Eyes" ?

Duplicity.

41m-OMcZkFL._SS500_.jpg

Cliff, I'm pretty sure that is part of the so-called "Atomic Records" unauthorized Andorran reissues discussed elsewhere. Aldo Sinesio himself has come on this board to call them bootlegs.