"Effortless Mastery"

doubleM

There was an earlier thread where I recommended this book to SoulStream, though I don't know if he picked it up yet. Yes, I am much more relaxed about my playing, and so generally a better player, after applying the techniques. Thank you Kenny Werner!

And I always take the opportunity to mention these titles as well:

The Listening Book Finding your own music

A Musical Life Reflections on what it is and how to live it

Both by W.A. Mathieu, on Shambhala Publications

These are two more books that changed my life. This guy knows what he's talking about. Beautifully written.

Hmmm, sounds quite interesting. I'm not a player (alas), but could someone elaborate a bit on the concepts contained in Werner’s book??

(Afraid the only thing I can do competently, musically speaking, is sing. And not jazz singing, which I am miserable at. I’m a baritone in the Kansas City Symphony Chorus, and have been in other choruses/choirs over the years.)

PS: I just looked on Amazon, and there weren't any sample pages to see (often the whole first chapter (of some books) is available to read on-line). But there was this editorial, along with quite a few very positive feedbacks...

Editorial Reviews

Book Description

Paperback book and CD set. Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within is a book for any musician who finds themselves having reached a plateau in their development. Werner, a masterful jazz pianist in his own right, uses his own life story and experiences to explore the barriers to creativity and mastery of music, and in the process reveals that "Mastery is available to everyone," providing practical, detailed ways to move towards greater confidence and proficiency in any endeavor. While Werner is a musician, the concepts presented are for every profession or life-style where there is a need for free-flowing, effortless thinking. Book also includes an audio CD of meditations narrated by Kenny to help the musician reach a place of relaxed focus.

From the Publisher

This is a great book for any musician, and it has literally changed the way people all over the globe think about their lives and their music. Kenny's candid confession of frustrations regarding his own early development really reveal how *everyone* struggles to reach a place of mastery, no matter what facade of confidence they present publicly. It is an inspiring book that seems to immediately connect with musicians, who say to us over and over, "I've always felt there was something holding me back, and now I know how to let go and move forward!" The accompanying CD of meditations will be helpful for those wishing to investigate further the practical techniques Kenny discusses in the book.

About the Author

Kenny Werner is an accomplished pianist who began performing at age 4 and, by age 11, had appeared on television. While at the Manhattan School of Music he became restless with his musical direction and began to explore Jazz as a new means of creativity and expression. Along his journey, he was inspired by masters of the craft to rethink not only the technical aspects of creativity, but also the spiritual aspects. Effortless Mastery is not only an account of that journey, but also an insightful guide for all those wishing to remove their own barriers to creativity in life and the arts.

Hmmmmmm....... :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Well, to keep it short, the main ideas behind the book are gaining self-acceptance (you are enough), and not being attached to the fruits of your actions. Not new ideas at all, but what Kenny does is express them in a way that makes it easy for people like us (musicians and the like living in this day and age) to identify with and understand. I think you would get a lot out of it, since you are involved with music performance and enjoyment. And because these are pretty much universal principles, they can be applied to any endeavour, as the write-up says. Check it out. :rhappy:

The only problem I have with books like this (and it's a problem in principle only - I know that they actually provide constructive benefits to many people) is that some cats read them and think that's enough. It's not. Getting a postcard of the Eiffel Tower at your home in Sweetwater, Alabama is not the same as taking the trip to Paris and experiencing the thing yourself, if you know what I mean.

The only problem I have with books like this (and it's a problem in principle only - I know that they actually provide constructive benefits to many people) is that some cats read them and think that's enough. It's not. Getting a postcard of the Eiffel Tower at your home in Sweetwater, Alabama is not the same as taking the trip to Paris and experiencing the thing yourself, if you know what I mean.

Actually Jim, Kenny makes that point several times throughout the book. He stresses that this is a path of action, not theory.

Ghost--Who the hell is that!? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Effortless Mastery -

It's a very cool book and comes with a CD. Just his reminder about the evils of television is worth the price.

I think that many players (myself included) need to break out of ruts that work into practice and musical concepts. This book explains those traps well. Free Play by Stephen Nachmanovitch is recommended as well. It's a bit more cerebral. Non-musicians will probably like both as well.

SoulStream brings up an interesting point/dilemma regarding the challenge of constantly creating fresh new improvisational ideas. It's pretty darn hard to constantly come up with totally original ideas. Let's face it, even the most consistently profound players have their cliches that they tend to fall back on.

For me it comes down to what I practice. For instance, If I make a concerted effort to practice diminished licks. Those licks, and other original licks will eventually find their way into my playing. It may take many months before it becomes totally natural. But it eventually happens. You "are" what you practice! Okay, at least I am...

The best advice I ever got regarding improvisation is to "...play what you mean, and mean what you play" I've always tried to keep this in mind. Let's face if, the audience will always know if you do otherwise.

Best compliment I ever got regarding my playing was "...you played that like you meant it". A compliment like that is enough to make you wake up an hour earlier than normal, day in day out, to put in some serious metronome time, or whatever it is you need to practice!

A little positive reinforcement goes a long way, and lot's of practice will provide you with increasing amounts of encouragement. It's a vicious circle. Those needing instant gratification need not apply! ;)

the battle to be creative On The Bandstand is a constant, ongoing struggle imho. given the fact that it's a paid situation and there is an audience to consider. Ornette is a super creative force, but he'd be the first to tell you that it takes a special person to listen. I've given in to the fact that i've got to be creative within certain parameters. Which is fine and indeed takes a lifetime to even attempt to fill that void. However, at times it feels like you're falling in other's footsteps to the point of wondering where "I" fit in. If it's not my concept, what's the point? A never ending circle of self-doubt.... However, at the end of the day, it's still more fun than not. :wacko:

Two foods for thought from Miles, as related by Dave Liebman, ca. 1979:

• If you have one new, REALLY new idea, per month, you're doing good. Anything more than that and you're doing REALLY good.
  • Don't blame the tune if you get hung for ideas. You're playing it, it's not playing you.

Really, the older I get, the less concerned I am with overt "creativity" as I am just being "in the moment", relaxing, and letting whatever is inside come out with as few hinderances as possible. Some days are better than others...

The whole issue of "creativity" is one that I'm evolving on myself. After a while, one's personal language begins to stabilize somewhat, and what do you do then? Just stagnate and become a repeater pencil or constantly throw out what you've accrued in hopes of always being "new"? The former might as well be a death sentence, and the latter seems a denial of the validity of however far you've come (and if THAT sucked so bad that you had to throw it out, why is "this time" going to prove any better?). Myself, I think that after a while, refinement should naturally take precedence over constant "discovery". Funny thing is, refinement can open up a whole new set of options, notably deciding what to leave OUT rather than what to put in, to say nothing of getting in touch with one's personal rhytmic sensibility (I can't tell you how SICK I am of hearing these players who are so obsessed with harmony that they play everything in a rhythmic monotone!). Growing harmoically is always an option too. So long as one is expanding (and in a really cool paradox, refinement IS a form of expansion, at least in my mind) in some form or fashion, the adventure should remain alive. When it goes away, something's wrong, and the solution, as Miles implied, has to come from within. Like Warne Marsh said, "You have to take responsibility for your own melody". Not that it's ever as cut-and-dried as a post like this might make it seem. Really, though, the object of the game, I think, is to be real, to be YOU as fully as possible. Sometimes consciously working at that gets good results, but sometimes it's lethal. There are no sure things, and trial-and-error only helps the odds. It never beats them.

There's different kinds of growth, and what works for one might be horribly ill-suited for another. One thing's for sure though - there's always more to do in some form or fashion. discovering what the next "something" is going to be is one of the most satisfying experiences life has to offer, even if pursuing it (or figuring out what it is) can sometimes suck the life out of you.

Hey - ain't no such thing as a free lunch! :D :D :D

Really, the older I get, the less concerned I am with overt "creativity" as I am just being "in the moment", relaxing, and letting whatever is inside come out with as few hinderances as possible. Some days are better than others...

This has been my main concern over the last few years as well. I'll have to look up the quote, but there was an author who said something to the effect of, "Most artists concern themselves with originality, which they should never bother about. Instead, they should strive for authenticity."

Or how about this, from Rumi:

Be courageous and discipline yourself.

Work. Keep digging your well.

Don't think about getting off from work.

Water is there somewhere.

Submit to a daily practice.

Your loyalty to that is a ring on the door.

Keep knocking, and the joy inside

will eventually open a window

and look out to see who's there.

Keep working. Exert yourself toward the pull of God.

Laziness and disdain are not devotions,

Your efforts will bring a result.

You'll watch the wings of divine attraction

Lift from the nest and come toward you!

As dawn lightens, blow out the candle.

Dawn is in your eyes now.

Edited by Joe G

I had to share this one with everybody as well.

Today like every other day

We wake up empty and frightened.

Don't open the door to the study

and begin reading.

Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.

There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Jim and Joe. I think you're both right about being "in the moment." It's probably one of the more elusive goals there is for most. The greats always "seem" to be there, whether they are or not only they could tell us. One thing for sure, music is never boring...and always challenging in one respect or another...or all respects. ;)

Julaluddin Rumi was a 13th century Sufi poet. Coleman Barks is considered by many to the foremost interpreter of his many works. It's beautiful stuff. If you do a search on Rumi you will find lots of websites to check out.

Edited by Joe G

Really, though, the object of the game, I think, is to be real, to be YOU as fully as possible. Sometimes consciously working at that gets good results, but sometimes it's lethal.

Jim, could you elaborate on that a bit? What is it that you are wary of? Does your statement here relate to your earlier post in this thread?

Just curious.

picked up the book today. funny, the lady at the sheet music store looked at me as I purchased it and said..."as long as you don't think this will make playing music easy." Her and the store owner had a good laugh at the expense of me and the book (f you i thought, i've got a gig in 4 hours, just about the time you'll be settling onto your couch to watch "friends" bee-a-itch. ;) ).

anyway, i really like the first little part i've read. kind of goes into the "whys" of playing music. i'll let you know what i find out when i'm done....

Really, though, the object of the game, I think, is to be real, to be YOU as fully as possible. Sometimes consciously working at that gets good results, but sometimes it's lethal.

Jim, could you elaborate on that a bit? What is it that you are wary of? Does your statement here relate to your earlier post in this thread?

Just curious.

Two things, basically - "paralysis by analysis" and being so busy thinking that thinking about doing something gets confused with actually doing it. You know, like people who get religion and become so obsessed with "being religious" all the time that THAT becomes their life, not going ahead and living naturally, just with a new awareness.

Different people go different ways with this kind of stuff. I've seen it go both ways - some get liberated and some...

I certainly don't knock it, because a huge turning point in MY life was reading Alan Watts' "The Book". Really put into concrete form a lot of semi-formed notions, feelings, instincts, etc. that I'd been having for quite a while and "made the clouds go away." :D :D :D That's when these things seem to do the most good, I think - when they merely strengthen or enhance what's already there but has maybe gotten either lost or has yet to fully mature. Somebody who goes into it cold, or not having that much of a clue in the first place, seems to be the type to fall into a "style over substance" appreciation and execution of the material.

Similarly, "working" at personal growth can go either way, or at least that's been my experience. Sometimes the work pays off, but sometimes it seem like the best thing to do is just fuck it all and get on with your life, if you know what I mean, and let things be. Things have a way of taking care of themselves sometimes. ;) Making the wrong decision about which path to take for any given circumstance can eat your lunch, but the kicker is, you never know it's the wrong decision until it's too late.

It ain't fair, I tell ya', it JUST AIN'T FAIR! :rfr:rfr:rfr:rfr

Good points and, that's what I thought you meant. Wasn't it Watts who said, "You can get more stinkin' from thinkin' than you can from drinkin'?" Quite true. It's a trap I fall prey to all to often.

Similarly, "working" at personal growth can go either way, or at least that's been my experience. Sometimes the work pays off, but sometimes it seem like the best thing to do is just fuck it all and get on with your life, if you know what I mean, and let things be

Another way to view this is "being vs. becoming", and I think there are times for both. You're right, it's a difficult and not entirely effective way to spend all our days, focused on overcoming our massive personality flaws. :w There is a way to just rest in the "here I am, ugly, beauty and all" and be at peace with that. But don't come to me for lessons; I'm still working on it. OY! What a basket case! :wacko:

Edited by Joe G