Dealing With Ex-Bandmates Can Be A Bitch

Sundog

Long story short...

Got a high profile gig tomorrow night at an establishment that we think is perfect for our musical stylings. All sounds good right? Well, we just kicked out a member of the band last weekend. Actually he quit, but whatever :lol:. He's been making overatures all week about coming to the gig with a bunch of his "rowdy" friends to celebrate his birthday tomorrow. You see where I'm going with this don't you? It's all so surreal I just can't help but laugh about the entire situation. Should be a real Saturday Night Fish Fry

Anybody have any good advice on how to deal with hecklers? Not your garden variety type, (those are easy), but your real hardcore, meanspirited type. Additionally, there's got to be some funny stories out there along these same lines. Feel free to share them.

P.S. I think I'll bring my solidbody in addition to my jazzbox. One can never be to careful!

It would be extremely unprofessional for a musician (even a guy bounced from a band) to try to screw up your gig. I've seen some bitter band disputes but causing a scene intentionally and screwing up a gig is something I've NEVER seen - I hope it doesn't happen, 'cause then I know things are at a total all time low in a business that's sunk low enough already.

It would be extremely unprofessional for a musician (even a guy bounced from a band) to try to screw up your gig. I've seen some bitter band disputes but causing a scene intentionally and screwing up a gig is something I've NEVER seen - I hope it doesn't happen, 'cause then I know things are at a total all time low in a business that's sunk low enough already.

That's the problem a "professional" he's not. Hell, he's not even a nice human being. I'm guessing that he's just tying to get into our heads. The last thing any of us are going to do, is to be baited into a situation by this loser. We've been persuing this gig for 6 months, and now that we've got a shot, it's time to shut up and play and forget about all the potential distractions.

I'm getting too old for this shit! :blink: I just want to play some blues and jazz for some nice people, with my "mates".

Does the house have someone who specializes in behavior modification of unruly patrons?

Don't really know. This is a fairly nice resturant/bar type gig. The resturant business is a goldmine and the owner has recently added the bar to attract a more late night crowd. I don't think he wants to do anything to jeopardize the resturant side of the business. It seems like a very nice operation that he's running, so I'm assuming that he's got security handled. I'll probably just ask one of the bartenders off-handedly what the security situation is before we start.

Of course, the crafty, Ellingtonian-esque thing to do would be for you guys to get a major groove going, and then invite him up to sit in...

I like the way you think! Actually, If he does show, I've got something up my sleeve from a musical/personal standpoint that will "phuck" with his head, and the audience won't even know. As a matter of fact, they will probably enjoy it!

So what happened?  :blink:

He never showed. However, his sister-in-law was there which was a bit odd. Apparently she likes us better than she likes him. :lol: Everything went without a hitch except for the fact that I had 101 plus fever that broke about an hour before the gig started. The first couple songs were a little shakey until I got my "sea legs"

We played really well, the owner liked us. He said the he would put us in the band rotation. I'll believe it when I see it, but he was very positive. All is good! We debuted a "boppish" version of Manic Depression that got a great response. I was a little leery of even trying it, but the crowd was "up" and we went for it. I guess it pays to take chances every now and then.

So what happened?   :blink:

He never showed.

Great news! I kinda predicted that (see above previous post.)

You weren't feverish in anticipation of trouble were you, Sun? That means he got to you more than he should have.

Anyway, glad it worked out.

No, I think it had more to do with the fact that my god son, who I baby sat Friday, night was really sick. I spent Friday night watching the NCAA tournament and cleaning up puke. It was a thing to behold!