AMG facelift

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

????

Link returns: "Invalid Thread specified"

It seems that this AAJ thread has been deleted, I have just done a search and could not find it.

It was the user "jazzcritic" writing (as far as I remember it) that he received a notification as a AMG contributor that AMG would only accept reviews for new CD releases (new recordings and reissues) and not older stuff. He also wrote that contributors are being paid according to a certain scheme and that AMG propably wants to limit payments that way.

Edited by Claude

• 1 month later...

new one looks like shite in Opera, way too busy

"I need a word here..."

"use another font type!"

"okay"

edit, loaded the thing in MS IE: ah! it's supposed to be ordered according to geometric forms, I thought it was a pile of letters and random lines really. With MS IE recently being put down as one of the most dangerous browsers on the planet, you'd expect big time professionals to check into the looks on other browsers like Opera. But noooo.... did some tweeking on Opera and got something nearly okay.

The idea to split the artist entries using tabs is an improvement although having it all on one page like in the old days was pretty cool as well. Just that it SUCKS big time that they can't seem to write their tables/pages as such that also my browser can display them as they are supposed to look.

Edited by couw

The info on the album page is now devided into subpages instead of having everything (review, tracklist, credits) on one page. To be able to access the credits, one needs to be registered (which is currently still free)

So it's not only new additional content or features that are only for members.

All I get constantly is this:

"We apologize for the temporary connection delay.

Please click the refresh button on your browser."

Plus, it takes about three times a s long to load.

Sucks so far.

Same here until a few minutes ago, and now I'm getting nothing :angry:

Absolute crap.

Much more difficult to navigate - why don't people understand that radio boxes beat drop downs many times? Compare the ASCAP site to the BMI site. ASCAP is much quicker to use.

And it's slower than molasses. Great improvement, guys.

Lots of new flash with graphics fading in and out but content is just as incomplete and error-ridden as ever. Style over substance.

Can't even do an Advanced Search without becoming a Registered Member.

And it won't work with Netscape - I hate Internet Explorer and that's the *only* thing this site wants.

Here's what registering gets you:

Over 5.5 million music samples available for listening throughout the site

NOT INTERESTED

Advanced Search which expands your search terms and allows you to combine terms for a more powerful search experience

COULD BE INTERESTED - BUT I CAN'T EVEN SEE IT TO KNOW

Engaging new editorial features where the AMG editors guide you through an exploration of the best of the best in a myriad of categories - styles, timelines, themes, countries, instruments, moods, and many more.

OH PLEASE - AMG EDITORS! WHO CARES?

Expanded Artist and Album content including Charts & Awards, complete song lists by artist, and complete album and artist credits.

YEAH RIGHT - COMPLETE! HA! THIS IS THE SAME OLD STUFF THAT USED TO BE THERE, WRONG, MISSING, HALF-BAKED AT BEST

Anyway, after registering - advanced search is nothing great and on my first try I get: Error 2 timeout.

Trying again, it goes through and gives me absolutely NOTHING related to my search. The old site would come up with 12 hits and this new, improved things can't find ANY OF THEM.

Thanks, schmucks, for wasting my time.

Mike

[please, Mike, tell us how you REALLY feel...]

Notice: You are accessing allmusic.com with a browser that is not currently supported. The appearance and functionality of the site could be impacted. allmusic.com is optimized for Internet Explorer 5.5 and above for Windows.

what I said: sucks major big poohah!

anyhoo, if I use Opera, I get something, albeit distorted. With MS IE, I only get error messages. :tdown

This is a drag. :angry:

I have both a Mac & a PC but prefer to surf with the iBook.

Both Safari & Camino have text alignment problems that sound similar to couw's problems with Opera. I tried IE for the Mac and while the text displays properly (at least things are lined up right) it is soooooo slow. Plus with IE for the Mac I get the same notice that the site is optimized for IE 5.5 for Windows. Thanks guys.

Is the site working better for people with DSL or cable? Seems to very unfriendly to dial-up users.