Moody modern piano stylings

Rabshakeh

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Who's playing all this moody music? Where are they from, what is their story?

Hell, Red Garland used to be a boxer. Bobby Timmons used to boost TVs (with Lee Morgan, no less!). Bud was just....Bud, a genius, so don't count him in all this. Bud was not a part of this world, not like that.

Who are these people today? Maybe their moody IS their happy?

I don't know, but I don't have unlimited patience with all that, if you know what I mean. At some point, fight back, throw a punch, jack a TV. Show some joy about THAT.

I like the idea of Vijay Iyer and Avishai Cohen (or whoever) trying to unload a stolen flat screen.

It's too ridiculous to think about, really, isn't it?

Maybe "happy" is not as simple as just being "happy".

What "we" used to talk about this being is "street", if somebody's bringing street to their playing, it's immediately apparent. Ike Quebec, memorably described by a buddy of mine as "pool hall music". That experience.

Street is different now than it was then, street was never "safe" (but you could still hang if you paid attention). That quality of being out there in the community, hanging out on the street, soaking that all in and having that as one of the core parts of your life experience (and therefore, your music)...you can't fake that. Or recreate it.

Times have changed. The street has changed.