The Sam Rivers Sessionography shipping NOW...

RickLopez

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Ordering after seeing Rick’s post in the “What jazz book are you reading” thread. Excited to page through this!

Thank you David!

Here are the review bits I posted if anyone wants to know : : : 
[Shipping NOW : : : https://www.gofundme.com/f/sam-rivers-sessionography]

“A dizzying, stunning achievement of research and scholarship. ... A joyful, sometimes psychedelic experience.”
—Mike Chamberlain, allaboutjazz-dot-com

“A model of independent scholarship, ... highly immersive. ... It’s in a limited edition of 724 copies. Don’t snooze on it if you’re just going to kick yourself later.”  
—NPR music critic Kevin Whitehead, at pointofdeparture.org

“I have never encountered anything approaching the obsessive thoroughness demonstrated by Lopez. ... A testament to Rivers’ enduring music and his invaluable role as incubator/advocate/on the bandstand educator. ... Lopez’s infectious enthusiasm proves hard to resist.” 
—Peter Margasak, The WIRE @thewiremagazine

"Rick Lopez’ remarkable Sam Rivers Sessionography: A Work in Progress ... masterfully sums up Rivers’ lengthy and productive career. ... A formidable document. ... Clearly sets the standard for any future work in this format."
Robert Iannapollo, ARSC Journal

“A Rosetta Stone of insight, and a well-deserved and worthy tribute to an overlooked giant of the music.” 
—Taylor Ho Bynum

"I got my copy of Rick Lopez's magnificent "The Sam Rivers Sessionography: A Work in Progress" ... Lopez has been producing extraordinary sessionographies for 20+ years. ... I raved about his 'treasure troves of information, some of the finest scholarship available on the internet today.' ... Few people are more worthy of your support. ... The book is gorgeous."
—Tom Hull

“An incredible piece of work. It’s really something else. Informative and entertaining. ... Anticipating hours of joy.” 
—Barry Altschul

“Absolutely mind-blowing! So great!” —Mats Gustafsson

“An essential resource, a trail map for a rare and beautiful landscape of sounds.” 
—Larry Blumenfeld

“A tremendous document. ... This book is powerful.” 
—Jason Moran

“Lopez’s Sam Rivers sessionography is state of the art.” 
—Lewis Porter

“Rick Lopez’s book is by no means a biography. It’s not a discography either, and it’s not a photo documentation. And yet somehow it is everything at the same time.” 
—Wolfram Knauer review, Jazzinstitut Darmstadt (Jan 2023)

+ Jazz Journalists Association 2022 Book Awards Honorable Mention