CONQUISTADOR RVG

JSngry

Finally got all the March RVGs in and listened to this this weekend.

Wow, in my opinion it sounds REALLY GOOD (well, my stereo is blessing everything with great sound lately, but I think this last dozen RVGs sound extra good). I really like the way that Cecil's piano sound is so markedly different from say Horace's of the same time, and the remastering displays this. Quite a nice session. . . this is right on the edge of where Cecil Taylor's music escapes me for now. . . . After this it gets harder for me to enjoy at all, BUT I know that there will come a time. . . . I do listen to later Taylor and I know I'll find a way towards enjoyment.

Seriously, I wonder if Cecil actually tried to make a "Blue Note record" with this one (in his own way, of course). It ain't "Moanin'" or anything like that, not even close, but the basic elements that he uses are so "familiar" that I've had that impression more than once.

I've been listening to this for the past few days, and I was thinking along those lines, too. To me, this sounds like a combination of Cecil's own unique style, a more "mainstream" '60s free jazz sound, and Blue Note's house sound. I love it. I've heard a cross section of Cecil's work from various periods from the '50s to the '90s, and while I admire it all, this is my favorite so far.

(And Unit Structures might be my least favorite!) :huh:

These melodies really strike me as similar to the more ethereal things that Miles was doing in the period leading up to IN A SILENT WAY. Probably more of an "in the air" thing than a direct influence/copy/whatever, but I think it shows a commonality between Cecil's ethos and more "inside" jazz that might sometimes be overlooked. In keeping w/Joe's earlie comment, the timbre of the Dixon/Lyons front line emphasizes this, too, at least to my ears. Try imagining any of these melodies isolated and then played in a WATER BABIES type setting - it's not at all hard to do!

Picked up Conquistador early last week. Up to that point, my exposure to Taylor, and this by choice, was limited to recordings done prior to approximately 1965. The early BN's, one on Prestige, one on United Artist's plus the Candid Mosaic. For me, he's someone you have to be careful with, so it was with some trepidation I spun Conquistador for the first time. Preparing myself for the worst as it were. Well, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I found it very accessible and I've enjoyed more each time I play it. I'm not sure this makes me want to dive head first into his later oeuvre, but who knows. I've been consciously trying to make my ears larger of late, so this may be something to consider.

Up over and out.

I definitely hear a hard bop Blue Note influence on the first tune, Conquistador, plus that open Blue Note avant-garde music sound. This sounds like a Blue Note recording, though it is as far out as anything I have heard on this label.

The second tune, and especially the second take of the second tune (I think...) reminds me of Miles along different lines, especially Bill Dixon's soloing. I've heard Miles' electric bands around 1970 really getting into this type of group interplay.

I'm really enjoying this album as a contrast to the other Cecil Taylor music that I've heard. I sort of know what to expect from a Cecil Taylor disc, but that expectation is pretty much always all wrong! A man of many languages.

I will admit that I've never liked the way Van Gelder recorded basses that much (or pianos), and it's kind of hard for my 'old deaf' ears to hear what Grimes and Silva are doing on those BN sides. Subtle interplay is really the key to Cecil's music, after all. Maybe the remaster has improved this, but probably not.

I threw on the Conquistador LP the other day while relaxing on the couch, and each time I listen to it, it just seems so perfect in its musical architecture _and_ soulfulness. But the bass thing still annoys me.

Just a warning for anyone looking to pick up a cheap pre-RVG version: This is the third US version of this cd - the first had no alternate, the 2nd had the alt of "With (Exit)" added. Now we have an RVG with the alternate included.

Bill Dixon had mentioned to me (in the early '70s) a great alternate to the issued music. He preferred an unissued take. After the first cd was issued Michael called me to ask if I remembered which "tune" had Dixon's preferred alt and I said I no longer remembered. Then the 2nd cd version was issued. I'm happy to have any extra material from this date but feel compelled to say I prefer "Unit Structures" by a small bit. Both are very fine dates.

I have not heard the RVG yet but will buy it soon.

I put on Unit Structures the other night and liked the music more than I remembered. But the sound is not very good (this is the domestic CD). The sound on the Conquistador! RVG is MUCH better. I think this may partially account for my strong perference for the latter.

• 8 months later...