String Along With Basie

JSngry

Not going to be for every taste, of course. But read these liners carefully, look at the names involved, and proceed accordingly.

Ni02ODkxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Not finding this on Spotify, but it does pop up in pieces on Pandora. I think it's really nice and copies ae abundant in both quantity and inexpensiveness. I have carpe diemed.

9 hours ago, Big Al said:

Just listened to it. On second thought, I won't be keeping an eye out for this after all.

Me neither, I guess.

At one point quite a few years ago I decided I needed to get seriously into the Roulette Basie years (beyond the Atomic, Chairmen and Hefti albums). As it happened I managed to round up most of the LPs reissued in the 80s and distributed by Vogue France at low prices in the special-offer secondhand bins locally, at least those of primary importance to me (from the run of 23 LPs or so in all). The few remaining items were found on Discogs. However, I had decided early on to skip the non-Joe Williams and non-LH&R vocals albums as well as this "String Along" album. (Strangely hardly any of these albums had shown up in the special offer bins anyway - as if these reissues had sold less well at its time.)

Listening to it now on YT confirmed my decision. Although I might grab a copy (for occasional very late-night listening) when I come across one really dirt cheap. It's "better" done than quite a few other "with strings" LPs (where the strings really drain out the jazz lifeblood) but at any rate, it is definitely on the non-essential side of the Roulettes for me.