Granny...um Grammy Awards

Milestones

Isn't this the day for the awards?  I imagine that most of us could care less. 

I was reading there are four BIG awards: best album, best record, best song, best new artist.  A weird thing for sure.  Can't a single song win the first three of these?  Or maybe there are distinctions.  But I know there have been cases where one artist won all the BIG FOUR in the same year.  

And why would best new artist be such a big deal?  The history of pop music features many flash-in-the-pans: singers and groups whose first record is their whole legacy (or popularity).  Let's hear it for Big Four winner Christopher Cross.

Oh well, just a couple of thoughts.  I don't know whose up for the awards and don't care (jazz included).

Edited by Milestones

Best song goes to the songwriter(s), not (necessarily) the artist.  New Artist has been the kiss of death award as often as not, Milli Vanilli, Christopher Cross.  And 'could care less' presumably should be 'couldn't care less'.

And if anything, they try way too hard to be current/trendy.  The in memorium section may take half an hour this year.

5 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

New Artist has been the kiss of death award as often as not, Milli Vanilli, Christopher Cross.  

Amazing how many levels on which that Milli Vanilli grammy was a bad joke.  That Christopher Cross album was actually quite good for what it was (soft rock).  But Dire Straits or Rickie Lee Jones would have been better choices.

Edited by felser