The First Concert You Ever Attended

Soulstation1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are making me feel young: Ozzy Osbourne w/ Metallica, 1986, Joe Louis Arena. Metallica were supporting Master Of Puppets, their last good album. Where's the headbanging smiley? :g

Remember I said my babysitter took me to see Aerosmith. I was in diapers... ^_^

Then Genesis circa Foxtrot in Spring, 1973 back in Oxford.

Bev, you rule! Man, I would LOVE to have seen that. Unfortunately, I was -4 years old (negative four) at the time, so... :)

Rachel, you are a true rocker babe. You've seen so many of the bands that Joe and I make fun off riding home after the gig and listening to the classic rock stations. How big was your hair?

I can't remember my first concert. I think it was Genesis on the We Can't Dance tour. Completely lame compared to Bev's Genesis experience I'm sure, although they did rock out as a trio on a couple of tunes and even played Squonk. It ruled. That was, what... 1991? 1992? I don't remember. My parents we super protective. I was 14 or 15 at the time. I saw Peter Gabriel not long after that on the Us tour, which permanently damamged my hearing (tinnitus). Lovely, that.

First jazz concert, I can't remember really either. Probably Roy Haynes with Joe G.

No, Joe wasn't playing with Roy, he and I went to the concert together. :)

Trust me.... little sisters get no slack. Although later in life he bought me my first tube amp, so I guess it all evens out in the end. ;)

Yep. My little sister got no slack, and lots of torment, but then much later I gave her one of my guitars. :)

Rachel, you are a true rocker babe.  You've seen so many of the bands that Joe and I make fun off riding home after the gig and listening to the classic rock stations.  How big was your hair? 

I was in diapers!! No, actually I only had moderately big hair. And I started my concert-attending career at an early age. :P

I saw Peter Gabriel not long after that on the Us tour, which permanently damamged my hearing (tinnitus).  Lovely, that. 

Yup, I have that too. Mine was post Black Sabbath (with Ronnie James Dio)/Judas Priest concert .

First jazz concert, I can't remember really either. Probably Roy Haynes with Joe G.

But wait dude, weren't we both at that Poncho Sanchez show, before we actually met?

My first jazz show, Scofield w/Lovano. Al Dimeola doesn't count. ;)

Trust me.... little sisters get no slack.  Although later in life he bought me my first tube amp, so I guess it all evens out in the end. ;)

Yep. My little sister got no slack, and lots of torment, but then much later I gave her one of my guitars. :)

See that! There you go. The beauty of guitar-playing big brothers.

Of course I really had no choice; my other brother played the tuba. :huh:

Yeah it does does even out :D . Rachel I'm with b3-er on one issue after seeing some of the bands you've checked out in the past-how big was your hair? :P

The pictures are tucked safely away somewhere and in the event of my death I have made *arrangements*....

Did you like Ratt, like my older sister?

Not really; they had that one song that was all over the radio that was OK. I wasn't into the 80's hair bands; they just seemed to pale when compared to the earlier stuff. Even though I loved a lot of the heavier stuff of the seventies I got my start in more progressive rock, ie Yes, ELP, early Genesis. I never was a big fan of Poison/Motley Crue/Ratt/insert the name of any other big hair band wearing eyeliner and spandex.

Although, Guns and Roses..... :wub:

Edited by rachel

My older sis was the one that got me into Genesis. I was a total Genesis freak all the way through fourth and fifth grade, middle school and most of high school... until I started to get into jazz. Tony Banks was my hero.

I never liked any of those hair-bands either. When all that shit was going down I was listening to Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP, Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and the like. People in school thought I was very weird.

And I probably was! :)

You guys are my oldest brother Tom's generation. He loves all the metal to this day. Everything from RATT to Dio to Queensryche to Ozzy to Iron Maiden to Judas Priest, and all the way to even cornier hair bands like Poison and Whitesnake, clear through Tesla, Van Halen... Really, this is my original music exposure. I used to play their records and tapes all the time when I was a kid.

I remember Tom got his '66 Mustang broken into and a few hundred tapes stolen along with his car stereo--while he was parked at one of those huge venues, like Monsters Of Rock or something. Man was he pissed.

You guys are my oldest brother Tom's generation.

I remember Tom got his '66 Mustang broken into and a few hundred tapes stolen along with his car stereo--while he was parked at one of those huge venues, like Monsters Of Rock or something.  Man was he pissed.

OK... I know I'm being sensitive here, but don't refer to me as being part of *another generation*. As I said... I started early....

:lol:

Edited by rachel