The First Concert You Ever Attended

Soulstation1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early 70's. Free concert at the Bandshell in Renzie Park. Headliners were Brownsville Station and some other band. The warm up band: Aerosmith.

I was way too young; my babysitter took me. I remember Steven Tyler being *so cute* in a scary sort of way.

Edited by rachel

Early 70's. Free concert at the Bandshell in Renzie Park. Headliners were Brownsville Station and some other band. The warm up band: Aerosmith.

Now I remember...Brownsville Station opened for ZZ Top at that 1974 gig in Central Park. A nice NYC reception for a Long Island band. People were throwing shit at them. :lol:

I don't think ZZ Top was w/B-ville Station and Aerosmith at this particular concert. I probably would have remembered them. I saw ZZ Top during their "Cheap Sunglasses" tour in the early 80's. Now *that* was fun.

Another great show. I saw a lot of ZZ in the early '80's before their techno MTV music made them very famous. I think by 1980 I was on a steady diet of Jeff Beck, Johnny Winter and ZZ Top. :wub::P:lol::D:blink:

I was more of an Edgar Winter girl specifically around the time of "They Only Come Out at Night". I remember riding my bike w/my transistor radio blaring "Free Ride" and "Frankenstein" -- well, as much as an AM transistor radio could *blare*.

Edited by rachel

Wasn't that a great album! I remember sneaking it from my big brother's collection and cranking it w/the headphones on. I was *never* *ever* allowed to handle his LPs, so I had to be quite surreptitious about it.

My sister's automaticly blamed me for any noise on an album! :winky::wacko::blink:

Love the Foghat! Saw them on a double bill with Blue Oyster Cult.

I remember seeing Black Oak Arkansas, no wait... it was Mountain, in the early 80's I remember it now -- Leslie West played the whole concert sitting down, he was that huge!

Wasn't that a great album! I remember sneaking it from my big brother's collection and cranking it w/the headphones on. I was *never* *ever* allowed to handle his LPs, so I had to be quite surreptitious about it.

My sister and I really never had that problem because we were never into each others music she liked Donovan and Joan Baez both of whom I thought were pretty pukey and I don't think she cared too much for the Stones and Yardbirds.Only in later years do we have common musical interests.

The third show I saw was Montrose, Foghat and Black Oak Arkansas. We missed most of the Montrose, but caught the last tune. Rock the Nation?

With none other than Sammy Hagar on vocals. By virtue of Sammy's stint with Ronnie Montrose, I vote for Sammy Hagar over David Lee Roth any day. (plus he makes a very fine tequila)

Love the Foghat! Saw them on a double bill with Blue Oyster Cult.

I remember seeing Black Oak Arkansas, no wait... it was Mountain, in the early 80's I remember it now -- Leslie West played the whole concert sitting down, he was that huge!

I saw Mountain in the '80's at the recently closed Bottom Line twice.

First gig: amazing. Second gig: awful. It seemed like LW had been doing drugs all day before the show.

Wasn't that a great album!    I remember sneaking it from my big brother's collection and cranking it w/the headphones on.  I was *never* *ever* allowed to handle his LPs, so I had to be quite surreptitious about it.

My sister and I really never had that problem because we were never into each others music she liked Donovan and Joan Baez both of whom I thought were pretty pukey and I don't think she cared too much for the Stones and Yardbirds.Only in later years do we have common musical interests.

My brother wasn't quite so lucky with me. I loved everything he listened to; he was a guitar player, so I was in prepubescent nirvana rifling through all of his "guitar god" albums. I remember getting blamed quite a bit for every little scratch. I actually think my other brother was sabotaging me. Life's rough being the only girl. ^_^

Wasn't that a great album!    I remember sneaking it from my big brother's collection and cranking it w/the headphones on.  I was *never* *ever* allowed to handle his LPs, so I had to be quite surreptitious about it.

My brother wasn't quite so lucky with me. I loved everything he listened to; he was a guitar player, so I was in prepubescent nirvana rifling through all of his "guitar god" albums. I remember getting blamed quite a bit for every little scratch. I actually think my other brother was sabotaging me. Life's rough being the only girl. ^_^

:lol:

Love the Foghat!  Saw them on a double bill with Blue Oyster Cult.

I remember seeing Black Oak Arkansas, no wait... it was Mountain,  in the early 80's  I remember it now -- Leslie West played the whole concert sitting down, he was that huge!

First gig: amazing. Second gig: awful. It seemed like LW had been doing drugs all day before the show.

Yeah, I remember when I saw Mountain, he pretty much fumbled his way through the entire concert. By the time Mississippi Queen happened I think everyone in attendance was rather "lubricated" so it all sounded good by then.

I knew the Bottom Line was having financial troubles but I didn't realize that they finally closed. That was another great place to go in NYC.

Love the Foghat!  Saw them on a double bill with Blue Oyster Cult.

I remember seeing Black Oak Arkansas, no wait... it was Mountain,  in the early 80's  I remember it now -- Leslie West played the whole concert sitting down, he was that huge!

Yeah, I remember when I saw Mountain, he pretty much fumbled his way through the entire concert. By the time Mississippi Queen happened I think everyone in attendance was rather "lubricated" so it all sounded good by then.

I knew the Bottom Line was having financial troubles but I didn't realize that they finally closed. That was another great place to go in NYC.

Oh....it was OK. I was standing in line for a show and we had a thunder shower so we gathered under the awning to the entrance. The owner came out and gave us a bunch of crap. Yez, his customers. :angry: The interesting fusion gigs died out soon after.....and now they're closed. :lol:

Venues come and go. The Knitting Factory isn't owned or run by the original folks, CBGBs survives on TShirt sales at Macys.

Shrug....

I guess what is "likable" about the Bottom Line is the nostalgia. But that ain't payin' the bills (and they never took credit cards !?). My favorite is still the 55 Bar. Mike Stern is there a lot....I guess I'm reliving my prepubescent nirvana of which I spoke earlier. ^_^

Edited by rachel