The First Concert You Ever Attended

Soulstation1

KISS, with special guests Cheap Trick. Cobo Hall, Detroit, 1976*.

(*disclaimer: I was only 10 years old at the time)

No disclaimer necessary. ;)

I must have seen them while on the same tour, except for me I think it was Spring 1977. I went with my older brother and his friends.

I saw Cheap Trick again later that year with The Cars. B)

My first jazz concert was 1974 in Ohio, Duke Ellington's band under the direction of Mercer Ellington. My dad took me, I was able to relate to songs I had heard played on his turn table before, but obviously way too young to appreciate any of it. At that time I would have rather been riding the bumper cars.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of the veterans around here. First real concert I attended (with my older brother) was in September 1953. The Lionel Hampton big band with Art Farmer, Clifford Brown, Jimmy Cleveland, Gigi Gryce and others.

And since most of the posters mentioned pop/rock concerts, my first experience was the Beatles in 1966.

Both concerts in Paris.

I thought I was a senior member of this board but I was born Setember of 1953! :o

I hated the band with a passion, but my friends & I agreed that we'd see the 1st band that came to Assembly Hall, seeing as we lived right next door.

Journey in '81.

Oof!

Things got much better, as later that year and then the next I saw Frank Zappa & the Talking Heads.

Don't stop believin'. ;)

I'm one of the veterans around here. First real concert I attended (with my older brother) was in September 1953. The Lionel Hampton big band with Art Farmer, Clifford Brown, Jimmy Cleveland, Gigi Gryce and others.

And since most of the posters mentioned  pop/rock concerts, my first experience was the Beatles in 1966.

Both concerts in Paris.

I thought I was a senior member of this board but I was born Setember of 1953! :o

I was all of 13 by then. And already knew too much about too little :lol:

King Crimson in Autumn, 1972 at the Oxford New Theatre - Fripp, Wetton, Muir, Bruford, Cross. Magical and highly influential on what I went on to listen to.

Then the Albion Country Band in Swindon College that helped cement a lifelong love of English folk music.

Then Genesis circa Foxtrot in Spring, 1973 back in Oxford.

Then King Crimson again a bit later that Spring in Bristol (Colston Hall) - no Muir this time.

Finally the original Mahavishnu Orchestra around Birds of Fire time at Bristol.

Then I went off to University and the concert attendance soared.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

My first concert of any sort was the Beatles in Cleveland, OH in Aug. 1966.

First jazz concert was the Mahavishnu Orchestra in the early seventies, can't remember the year, but they were playing stuff from the Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire.

both concerts were fantastic.

My first concerts were jazz - I think I started a thread on this but can't find it.

Anyway, it was the Oscar Peterson Trio with sam Jones and Bobby Durham. Second was the Herbie Mann group with Steve Marcus, Sonny Sharrock, Miroslav Vitous and Bruno Carr.

Didn't go to rock or pop concerts too often. Gentle Giant may have been the first.