Favorite female jazz vocalist who 'walked tall' for racial justice, and Put A Spell on me.

Jon King

Nina?

I am a big Nina fan.  I have all of her Philips albums, and much of her RCA and Colpix catalogs, along with her Bethlehem album.

I listen to singers and standards a lot in November, for some reason, and I have an annual tradition of playing Nina every Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

19 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Nina?

I am a big Nina fan.  I have all of her Philips albums, and much of her RCA and Colpix catalogs, along with her Bethlehem album.

I listen to singers and standards a lot in November, for some reason, and I have an annual tradition of playing Nina every Thanksgiving. 

1 hour ago, Jon King said:

Would anyone guess to whom I refer?  Hint: Today marks her 90th Birthday (1933-2003).

Me too!  

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Nina, of course. I share her birthday.

Happy Birthday to you, dear Mike and thanks for being here with us. "Alles Gute !"     "La Mulți Ani !"        "Boldog születesnapot" , ......in all languages.....

About Nina Simone . I understand everything, but why is this in the Musician´s Forum ? 
Or do you want to discuss singers in general and how to work with them ? 

45 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I've had High Priestess of Soul for ages, and only recently learned that a young Angelo Badalamenti, of David Lynch fame, co-wrote two of the tunes on the album!

Interesting, TTK.

Also, wanted to suggest a great, but obscure, downloadable anthology that I listen to when time is limited.  
The Definitive Rarities Collection - 50 Classic Cuts, Nina Simone  

Great alternate performances and live material that shines in a freer way than her more accessible albums that we also collect.

Before I heard her, I read that very very interesting interview with her in that wonderful book "Notes and Tones" (it´s the great drummer Art Taylor who interviewed a lot of musicians) . The singers interviewed were Nina Simona, Hazel Scott, Leon Thomas, and otherwise mostly instrumentists, like Miles, Sonny, Griff, Blakey, Elvin Jones. But the most bitter interview was done with Hampton Hawes, and with very very ugly words)....