Chicago Record (and Book) Stores

Eric

Greetings,

My wife and I will be in Chicago in a couple weeks and want to hit record/books stores.  We have not been post-Covid, so curious what still exists and what are your favs.  I hit Dusty Groove automatically.  Bias towards jazz of course!

Thanks

I don't live in Chicago, but wish I did. Have visited a number of times and always try to hit Hyde Park Records, which does still appear to be open and thriving! (I haven't been since before the pandemic) ... their stock is fairly massive with lots of jazz, and I've had some amazing finds there at really good prices. They're always well-stocked in both LPs and CDs.

Eric,

You should go to Bob's Blues & Jazz Mart.  When I was there in 2021, the stock was a jumbled mess.  So don't go there looking for something in particular; instead, just go in with an "I'll poke around and see what pops up" perspective. 

I've found some good stuff in Shuga Records.  Last time I was there, I ended up chatting with owner, who was sitting behind the counter, for long while. Nice guy. Can't recall his name.

There are a few Reckless Record locations.  I hit a couple of them when I was visiting Chicago in 2021.  Not exceptional, but not bad either. 

Dusty is the mecca, of course.  

Hope that helps.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

Hit the new arrivals bin at Dusty before you look through the filed stock.

If you are in Logan Square, I highly recommend the Chicago Diner - a vegan diner with a veggie meatloaf you will die for - and afterward, getting a cocktail at Slippery Slope/Heavy Feather, both at the same street address.

If you like high-end tiki cocktails, I strongly suggest going to Three Dots and a Dash.

Edited by Teasing the Korean