LONG PLAY Festival May 5-7

JSngry

I'm on their e-mail list. Got a message touting the AEC this morning.

Agreed, fine lineup.

BOAC has really evolved over the years to include much more jazz / improvised music. :tup 

Curious about the Triadic Memories performance...Conrad Tao is an excellent pianist, but I didn't know Tyshawn Sorey had the piece in his repertoire.

Edited by T.D.

• 3 months later...

I was there! Roscoe Mitchell tested positive for COVID the day the AEOC was to play, and Shabaka Hutchings stepped in. It was a smaller band than the greatly expanded one that has been performing for many years, a lot of unfamiliar material this time. The rest of the festival was great, like Big Ears, but pared down to just contemporary classical and avant-jazz/improv. Threadgill did not perform, but it was great finally seeing a seminal Threadgill band I had never seen live. A very well run and manageably-sized festival, all venues were very close together bar one. I found it superior to Big Ears in every way. 

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 11:38 PM, Hoppy T. Frog said:

I was there! Roscoe Mitchell tested positive for COVID the day the AEOC was to play, and Shabaka Hutchings stepped in. It was a smaller band than the greatly expanded one that has been performing for many years, a lot of unfamiliar material this time. The rest of the festival was great, like Big Ears, but pared down to just contemporary classical and avant-jazz/improv. Threadgill did not perform, but it was great finally seeing a seminal Threadgill band I had never seen live. A very well run and manageably-sized festival, all venues were very close together bar one. I found it superior to Big Ears in every way. 

How was Shabaka with AEOC? I knew he'd guested previously 

8 minutes ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

He fit in quite well, I'm not so familiar with Hutchings' work, but I thought it was a great show--except for the moment Don Moye stumbled and fell backwards into the backdrop, that was a heart stopping moment but he was okay. 

Thanks. Glad Moye was OK