Henry Threadgill Autobiography

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

About halfway through, Threadgill's just back from Viet Nam and picking back up on his composition studies.

To 5his point, this is one of the better (and better written) ",jazz books"  I've ever read. A compelling story compellingly told. 

Any mention of someone named Frank in the book? 

Edited by Dmitry

• 2 weeks later...

60 pages in and I'm finding this a frustrating read.  Whilst the content is interesting enough, the seeming cut 'n' paste of some paragraghs/stories lead to some jarring non-sequitirs.  I don't need a strictly chronological approach at all but the jump cuts appear clumsy to me and are derailing my reading a bit.  this may well reflect how Threadgill chose to tell the story to Hayes Edwards. Hopefully I'll get used to the chosen style as I read on.  Whatever happens, I'm not crossing great grandaddy.

Another 50 or so pages on and it's settled down a bit, it was the early years that seem just a bit too disjointed. Maybe that's actually a good way of representing how we remember decades ago, not in a straight line 

I do like the anecdote/musing combination which is really effective in the Vietnam section which is where I am now.

Also, did I want to hear those preachers? Absolutely 

Edited by mjazzg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Am enjoying this immensely (3/4 way through now) & the book structure (roughly chronological but random topics, not at all heavy on music theory). His vignettes are fascinating, favourites are time in Vietnam plus meeting Coltrane & Ellington.

The Hubkaphone discussions mention (p 210) a live LP recorded in 2003 at Engine 27, NYC where Henry prerecords his hubkaphone (at the venue) then plays it back (at varying octaves) during his Zooid's performance. I'd never heard of this release - Pop Start The Tape, StoP on the Hardedge label release #1 in 2005 in edition of 1000. I found the Hardedge website via Discogs & you wouldn't believe it, there are still copies left in 2023 - scored one & am listening now - the Hubkphone features prominently. The website has glitches for purchasing so you have to order via email (contact Velibor) details on website

https://www.hardedge.net/catalog

https://www.discogs.com/release/4162996-Henry-Threadgills-Zooid-Pop-Start-The-Tape-Stop