AOTM April 2023 - Ben Webster & Associates - Verve, 1959

mikeweil

I love this album and find it to be the best of his wonderful Verve output, which is really saying something. I'm with mikeweil about the albums with Coleman Hawkins, I really wanted to like those albums and they just don't click with me. Maybe it's because this album has Jo Jones on it is the reason I like it so much, he knew just how to shade Big Ben like no other drummer could do, IMO.

Ah, I see ....... 

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Nope. This one:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

9 hours ago, Big Al said:

I love this album and find it to be the best of his wonderful Verve output, which is really saying something. I'm with mikeweil about the albums with Coleman Hawkins, I really wanted to like those albums and they just don't click with me. Maybe it's because this album has Jo Jones on it is the reason I like it so much, he knew just how to shade Big Ben like no other drummer could do, IMO.

The whole cast is exceptional. Much more than on any other Verve album by Ben or Hawk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 11:33 PM, mikeweil said:

Do you know similar studio jam sessions that go along at such a relaxed pace with similar results?

There are probably many but "Mr. Swing" (and the accompanying "The Swinger", same session, September 1958) comes to mind, even though it is not exactly a "jam session", but the first two tracks (9 minutes each) have that feel - "Love Is Here To Stay" and "Short Coast". Jimmy Forrest and Jimmy Jones gently swing in extended solos. Other similar sessions, with Webster, are "Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You" (March 1957) and "Sweets" (September 1956). The Edison/Webster 1962 session available on the Mosaic "Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions 1953-62" is good as well. It has been reissued separately on CD as well.

"Reelin and Rockin" on Johnny Hodges' "Blues a Plenty" also comes to mind. Not exactly a jam session either, but some fine extended solos by all participants (including Webster) and a nice laid back atmosphere. The album is fabulous from start to finish. Note Johnny Hodges on "Satin Doll"!

Concerning Hawkins, the "Live at the Village Gate" 1962 album with Eldridge and Hodges has some fine relaxed playing, especially the 16 minute long "Rabbit in Jazz"!

EDIT: reading over this message, I am not sure all these references qualify as "jam sessions", so my answer is probably off topic... I'll be curious to learn of other similar tracks.

Edited by hopkins

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, hopkins said:

There are probably many but "Mr. Swing" (and the accompanying "The Swinger", same session, September 1958) comes to mind, even though it is not exactly a "jam session", but the first two tracks (9 minutes each) have that feel - "Love Is Here To Stay" and "Short Coast". Jimmy Forrest and Jimmy Jones gently swing in extended solos. Other similar sessions, with Webster, are "Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You" (March 1957) and "Sweets" (September 1956). ....

"Reelin and Rockin" on Johnny Hodges' "Blues a Plenty" also comes to mind. Not exactly a jam session either, but some fine extended solos by all participants (including Webster) and a nice laid back atmosphere. The album is fabulous from start to finish. Note Johnny Hodges on "Satin Doll"!

Thanks for the recommendations - It turned out I have those I quoted from your post. I will check out the others., But frankly, none of them really has the exquisite quality of the album I chose as topic.

• 3 months later...