Following up on my idea for an Art Farmer Mosaic

I went on a bit of a Farmer binge tonight, beginning very eariy (and Art does mature fairly early) and working on through his with strings album with Quincy Jones "Last Night When We Were Young" and pausing on the  title track of the quartet album "The Summer Knows, " with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins -- a near hallucinatory fluegehorn performance, where Art finds true beauty in what is to my mind a rather soppy Michel Legrand creation. As I'd hoped to find, there is a lot of variety in Art's work.

11 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I went on a bit of a Farmer binge tonight, beginning very eariy (and Art does mature fairly early) and working on through his with strings album with Quincy Jones "Last Night When We Were Young" and pausing on the  title track of the quartet album "The Summer Knows, " with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins -- a near hallucinatory fluegehorn performance, where Art finds true beauty in what is to my mind a rather soppy Michel Legrand creation. As I'd hoped to find, there is a lot of variety in Art's work.

Oh yeah.  Great stuff.  :tup 

I think all three East Wind quartet albums with the Walton-Jones-Higgins rhythm section -- the "Magic Triangle" -- are top-shelf Farmer:  To Duke with Love (1975), Yesterday's Thoughts (1976), and The Summer Knows (1977).  In my mind, they all sorta go together.

Edited by HutchFan
corrected error

Larry: Any thoughts about Farmer's playing style?  To me, he sounds like he floats over the rhythm section.  It's not that he plays ahead or behind the beat; it's almost like the beat is irrelevant to him.  So his playing has a dreamy quality that somehow packs a punch.

Another great one from this time period is Farmer & Jim Hall's "Big Blues" on CTI.  Hall has a similar sort of style, and Mike Manieri on vibes is a third great solo voice.

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Passing Thoughts (1976)

I think you mean Yesterday's Thoughts.  Yes, all great albums.

Edited by mjzee

9 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Yessir.  That.  Good catch.  ;) 

3 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

1958 - Modern Art - Art, his brother Addison, Dave Bailey, Benny Golson, Bill Evans. Sublime IMHO. 

Oh yeah.  One of AF's finest hours.

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, mjzee said:

Larry: Any thoughts about Farmer's playing style?  To me, he sounds like he floats over the rhythm section.  It's not that he plays ahead or behind the beat; it's almost like the beat is irrelevant to him.  So his playing has a dreamy quality that somehow packs a punch.

Another great one from this time period is Farmer & Jim Hall's "Big Blues" on CTI.  Hall has a similar sort of style, and Mike Manieri on vibes is a third great solo voice.

Lots of thoughts. Yes, Art sort of floats, especially later on. The other thoughts I may get to at some point. Above all perhaps h'e's thoughtful -- thinks and takes the time to think. I'll never forget listening to the "Sing Me Softly of the Blues" Quartet live at the Jazz Showcase. That was some kind of magic.

4 hours ago, Simon8 said:

I'd be curious to know some of the other tracks or records that stood out for you, Larry (I kind of did a similar Farmer retrospective recently, but mostly Art as a sideman).

The title track of "Cool Struttin'" would be one. One early one with Gigi Gryce, "Wildflower" I think it was. Many more.

31 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Lots of thoughts. Yes, Art sort of floats, especially later on. The other thoughts I may get to at some point. Above all perhaps h'e's thoughtful -- thinks and takes the time to think. I'll never forget listening to the "Sing Me Softly of the Blues" Quartet live at the Jazz Showcase. That was some kind of magic. Another descriptive terms for Art -- probing, especialy for tightly muted At.

On 4/11/2023 at 4:38 PM, HutchFan said:

I think all three East Wind quartet albums with the Walton-Jones-Higgins rhythm section -- the "Magic Triangle" -- are top-shelf Farmer:  To Duke with Love (1975), Yesterday's Thoughts (1976), and The Summer Knows (1977).  In my mind, they all sorta go together.

Outstanding music recorded by David Baker ....