Ellington Conference in Paris

medjuck

As for the conferences, I was left wondering how many French attendees do not speak english ? The constant translation from English to French was tedious - was it really necessary ? It seems to me that if you are hosting an international event, especially on Duke Ellington, then all presentations and discussions should only be in English.

Edited by hopkins

13 minutes ago, hopkins said:

As for the conferences, I was left wondering how many French attendees do not speak english ? The constant translation from English to French was tedious - was it really necessary ? It seems to me that if you are hosting an international event, especially on Duke Ellington, then all presentations and discussions should only be in English.

I just assumed the whole thing would be in French.

1 minute ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I just assumed the whole thing would be in French.

Last year's conference (I attended via Zoom) was all in English. Our Nordic friends are all excellent English speakers. Whereas here in France, we've been preoccupied with "preserving" French...

The eternal question was raised again as to how "preserve" the legacy of Ellington, and attract more "younger" people to his music. These questions apply to jazz in general. The only thing that is perhaps specific about Ellington is the well known idea that he really is "beyond category". As a result there is perhaps some form of neglect by some "jazz critics" today? He's not really considered to be a "jazz musician" like Coltrane or Miles, to name two that the general public is aware of. So Ellington stays out of the radar, in a sense ?

To prepare myself, I listened to a lot of Ellington these past weeks. I have come to the conclusion that what I love most about Ellington is his piano playing, whatever the context (accompanying his band, in small groups, trios, duos, or solos...). But Ellington is mostly subtle, and I am not sure a casual listener would not simply miss out on this. 

9 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

As you should!  

But it's a lost cause. Kids don't read anymore :)

Edited by hopkins

Anyway, it's great to witness first hand the enthusiasm of hardcore Ellingtonians!

Last year, for example, they showed a long video of Marc Tucker discussing "New World a-Coming" and then performing the piece. It was fascinating (both the content, and then being able to listen to his performance of that composition). The presentations are all available on the Swedish society's website.

I wonder if they filmed the presentations this week.

Edited by hopkins

1 minute ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Hopkins, tell us about the wines.

I stopped drinking 15 years ago, so I cannot tell you about the current production, but have fond memories of a few Bordeaux. Call me a snob, but I believe wine is best enjoyed locally, with the "cuisine" (and that probably applies to all countries). So I hope some of you visitors this week will get a chance to treat yourselves to a good meal.