MLB 2023: how ya like it now?

Long way to go, but right now they're playing well together and enjoying it together. And I like the way that Bochy rolls. So... I'm watching games again, which I would not be doing unless there were good games being played!

Barring major injuries, and assuming that the bullpen tightens up, I think it'll be a good season. Its about time! 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least one baseball pundit has picked the Rangers to win the AL West, with the Astros slotting into a wild card berth. Despite the Astros' characteristically slow start to the season (and the equally-predictable sky-is-falling rhetoric from the online fan boards), I think they'll be right there in the mix for the division title. It's a miracle they've done as well as they have so far considering the staggering raft of injuries they've had to deal with, which have left them without 3/5 of a starting rotation that was already expected to have to compensate for the departure of Verlander.

16 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Jacob deGrom is bound for Tommy John surgery and done for 2023.

yet the Rangers have done just fine to date.

The Red Sox will resume their collapse shortly. The only thing that is exciting is the apparent commitment to go with their youth in the rotation including bringing Kutter Crawford back even though he seemed better suited to a swing role and hasn't looked great as a starter by any means.

I like the fact that Brayan Bello now has an ERA under 4.00. If I had to choose I'd like to see Houk in the bullpen and Bello and Whitlock rotation mainstays for years to come. I think Crawford could be a high-leverage weapon but not an effective starter. On top of that he short arms the ball and is an arm breakdown waiting to happen. Being a starter will only hasten the emptying of the bullets he's got left.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow.

Took advantage of some afternoon downtime to use my TMobile free MLB TV account to watch the Marlins-Red Sox game.

Wow. 

Wow, what? The only bright spot on a crap roster still got beat, because, you know, crap. Waiting for the future to get to now is getting f-ing aggravating because it's the Red Sox not some garbage franchise without any assets.

I am left to wonder what they will get for Paxton at the deadline, assuming he doesn't break down between now and then.

Ok, That's right.

But it was a real gem. The dude was dealing. Didn't take long for me to move the game to the forefront of my attention.

On paper, it's not really going to stand out, since it was not a no-hitter, and it was in service of a loss.

So much for on paper. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Ok, That's right.

But it was a real gem. The dude was dealing. Didn't take long for me to move the game to the forefront of my attention.

On paper, it's not really going to stand out, since it was not a no-hitter, and it was in service of a loss.

So much for on paper. 

There are some who compare him to Pedro but I don't think the stuff is to that level. But he is maturing in real time, start to start and has been dealing, more or less, in most starts and certainly this one.  (In his last seven starts his WHIP is 0.94)