What Am Listening to? Myself (for those who think those who can't, just complain and teach) -

AllenLowe

after the back and forth about Jason Moran's JR Europe mess I wanted to post our recording of Castles in the Sand, my JR Europe reference, with me on tenor, Kellin Hannas on trumpet, Ken Peplowski on clarinet, Aaron Johnson alto and Lewis Porter on piano. To me, the key is to ignore re-creation and instead get into the spirit of what those 1913 musicians were just discovering:

Edited by AllenLowe

Yes, really like this. A lot. May have to buy the album on the back of it

I obviously hear the difference in approach with JM but do still like that as well.

As I don't know much about James Europe I think the Moran gives me an easier reference and a more direct in. For the same reason, I wouldn't have known this was necessarily referencing JE unless it says so on the box. 

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, really like this. A lot. May have to buy the album on the back of it

I obviously hear the difference in approach with JM but do still like that as well.

As I don't know much about James Europe I think the Moran gives me an easier reference and a more direct in. For the same reason, I wouldn't have known this was necessarily referencing JE unless it says so on the box. 

it's all history, and I don't expect other people to have the same degree of obsession as I have with the details, aesthetic and otherwise. The other thing I would note is that I understand that when someone attacks something that you admire, it feels personal. It's not, but I know it's an unavoidable response.

25 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

it's all history, and I don't expect other people to have the same degree of obsession as I have with the details, aesthetic and otherwise. The other thing I would note is that I understand that when someone attacks something that you admire, it feels personal. It's not, but I know it's an unavoidable response.

I really don't want to extend this much further but I will say that I didn't really feel personally attacked but the somewhat abrasive nature and words used I found unnecessary. Maybe I'm just too sensitive or "muddle class" to coin a phrase (which actually makes me smile, in a good way).

I shall enjoy investigating your interpretations further but by download only as the CD doesn't seem to available over here.

Edit to add: found the CD set, didn't realise it was 3Cds, saving up...

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I really don't want to extend this much further but I will say that I didn't really feel personally attacked but the somewhat abrasive nature and words used I found unnecessary. Maybe I'm just too sensitive or "muddle class" to coin a phrase (which actually makes me smile, in a good way).

I shall enjoy investigating your interpretations further but by download only as the CD doesn't seem to available over here.

Edit to add: found the CD set, didn't realise it was 3Cds, saving up...

let me know what price you end up with and I'll see if I can do better; the big problem is that overseas postage from the USA has gone through the roof,