Recordings of Baltimore’s Left Bank Jazz Society

gvopedz

34 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Thanks for posting this ... I am devoutly hoping that we will hear that there are other Left Bank tapes coming for November RSD or a year from now.  I've listened to the Bishop Jr disc 1 and enjoyed quite a bit.

How's the sound quality?  That is my main concern with Left Bank material.

44 minutes ago, felser said:

How's the sound quality?  That is my main concern with Left Bank material.

I listened in the car and have had A/C issues of late, so windows were open for cross-breeze.

That being said I felt like the sound quality was good with all instruments present and accounted for.

I plan to listen to CD2 in the car on my next drive tomorrow night, which is almost to Tampa so plenty of time for another 55 minutes or so, and then bring it into the office/listening room for next listen. Though the problem there is that work often interferes with listening.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that this one will get released at some point. It’s a part of the Sonny Rollins collection That he donated to a Schomburg Center for Research in Black culture.  

451897 LBJS Presents The Sonny Rollins Quartet ######## Sonny Rollins; Albert Dailey; Walter Booker; Louis Hayes - "location, famous, rec. eng., V. Welsh (LBJS) Sound recording digitized 

2 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I hope that this one will get released at some point. It’s a part of the Sonny Rollins collection That he donated to a Schomburg Center for Research in Black culture.  

451897 LBJS Presents The Sonny Rollins Quartet ######## Sonny Rollins; Albert Dailey; Walter Booker; Louis Hayes - "location, famous, rec. eng., V. Welsh (LBJS) Sound recording digitized 

Bad news - the tape at Schomburg was written over...

2 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Yes. I went to listen to it. What is on the tape now is Sonny watching an episode of a television Western show.  

Sonny is recorded on cassette, watching an episode of a TV show?  That sounds absurd but on the other hand, since the tape was apparently given him, it seems easy to conclude that he didn't care for the performance and therefore the cassette could be used again .... for audio of him watching TV. My head hurts.

14 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Sonny is recorded on cassette, watching an episode of a TV show?  That sounds absurd but on the other hand, since the tape was apparently given him, it seems easy to conclude that he didn't care for the performance and therefore the cassette could be used again .... for audio of him watching TV. My head hurts.

Yeah. I feel the same. 

46 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Which show? 

I don’t know the show. The tv is on and you hear Sonny speak a few words.  He must have been watching tv and decided to tape the audio?  But Sonny was always a critic about his playing and just erased it.