Recommend me some (soulful) Gospel, I'm a starter

mjazzg

9 minutes ago, John L said:

My Christmas morning listening: Among more modern gospel records, this one is a huge favorite, one of the most played records in my collection:

Otisclay.jpeg

Excellent .... btw a self produced effort and it took another 5 years until his next release ..... somehow missed years, as his voice was in very good shaoe ....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Excellent .... btw a self produced effort and it took another 5 years until his next release ..... somehow missed years, as his voice was in very good shaoe ....

Yes.  Even though Otis Clay became pretty well known late in life, he never really got his due.  I consider him to be one of the true greats.  

1 minute ago, John L said:

Yes.  Even though Otis Clay became pretty well known late in life, he never really got his due.  I consider him to be one of the true greats.  

Yep .... he was somehow reccuringly "at the wrong time at the wrong place", as his initial album for Hi Records was shaded by the marketing efforts for Al Green, his excellent late 70`s recordings released on Victor had apart from Japan limited circulation, Waylo - although granting wordwide concert performances - had production flows and Bullseye Blues tried to place him  within the latementioned genre (to capitalize on "Soul Blues") .....

3 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Also from '79: Andre Crouch with Jay Graydon ('Peg'), Michael Omartian, and David Hungate (Toto) -- much like EW&F and Steely Dan's 'FM'.  Check how the band takes it out after the sax solo at 3:13

This contemporary gospel might get me de-frocked by the Soul Pope  

Do appreciate whatever makes your soul fly free 😇😁👍 ....

• 2 weeks later...

Great Cover Versions 19 .... :

Mighty Unknowns "A Man Needs God" (Sav-All) 1972 (?) .... this aptly named Gospel group covers the Deep Soul Ballad "A Man Needs A Woman" - made immortal by James Carr - to perfection .... released on the very collectible label founded by Hoyt Sullivan in the early 70`s ....