Recommend me some (soulful) Gospel, I'm a starter

mjazzg

OK, so off the back and success of Pim's Soul thread here's one for some Gospel recommendations.

I know next to nothing about the genre beyond Aretha's backstory and a very little of The Staple Singers. I remember The Winans having a moment in the UK in the 80s.

I'm not sure how my lack of any faith will influence my reaction to this music or not but let's give me a chance.

Go easy on me...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the SAR Records Story CD set, the Womack Bros:

of course, Bobby Womack & Sam Cooke is some really interesting history to say the least. 

Then there's RH Harris & the Soul Stirrers 

There's a ton more on YT as well. Not my fave genre. Have to take it in small doses but the singing is impressive as hell. 

If you are just starting out, you might pick up some of the budget packages on JSP.  That will expose you to a lot of the greatest artists.   For starters, you couldn't do any better than the JSP package "Nuggets of the Golden Age of Gospel."  There are other great ones as well: Powerhouse Gospel, Memphis Marvels, Gospel Live - a huge amount of great music to digest for little money. 

Acrobat records had a great run of gospel reissues.  I don't know about the availability of the CDs now, although perhaps downloads are still possible.   The 9-volume issue of "Texas Gospel" is actually the complete gospel Peacock singles, a sort of holy grail.    Four CDs entitled Windy City Gospel vol. 1 & 2 contain most of the Vee Jay gospel singles - also absolutely incredible music.  If you can find it, the 2-volume set of the early recordings of The Spirit of Memphis on Acrobat is also not to be missed.  

Edited by John L

2 minutes ago, John L said:

If you are just starting out, you might pick up some of the budget packages on JSP.  That will expose you to a lot of the greatest artists.   For starters, you couldn't do any better than the JSP package "Nuggets of the Golden Age of Gospel."  There are other great ones as well: Powerhouse Gospel, Memphis Marvels, Gospel Life - a huge amount of great music to digest for little money. 

Agreed. JSP box sets on specific styles of collectible music (particularly in the field of "black music") make for very nice introductory packages.

Here's another recommendation - a somewhat "esoteric" vinyl (it's one of those subculture reissues from and for the "Rockin' Scene", and it's listed with other online sellers too):

https://www.stagoleeshop.com/La-Noire---8211--Vol--4-Glory-Is-Coming--914.html?language=en

Thanks everyone, lots to listen to

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

From the SAR Records Story CD set, the Womack Bros:

of course, Bobby Womack & Sam Cooke is some really interesting history to say the least. 

Then there's RH Harris & the Soul Stirrers 

There's a ton more on YT as well. Not my fave genre. Have to take it in small doses but the singing is impressive as hell. 

These are just what I was after, especially as I know the names as an in (I had no idea the Womacks had this background, absolutely no surprise though). The compilation looks interesting 

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yes to both of these, thanks. Inez delivers that's for sure

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Gladys Knight „Just A Closer Walk With Thee“ (Soul unreleased)             1966 ....

Fabulous 

52 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

These are just what I was after, especially as I know the names as an in (I had no idea the Womacks had this background, absolutely no surprise though). The compilation looks interesting

Highly rec that comp. It's a 2 CD set with the first disc being Sam's gospel productions and the 2nd one his secular r&b with plenty of overlap among the singers. You get to hear Johnny Taylor and Lou Rawls as young men which is awesome. And Sam's studio chatter is pure gold. 

3 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Highly rec that comp. It's a 2 CD set with the first disc being Sam's gospel productions and the 2nd one his secular r&b with plenty of overlap among the singers. You get to hear Johnny Taylor and Lou Rawls as young men which is awesome. And Sam's studio chatter is pure gold. 

Yes, it's just the thing I was hoping would be suggested.

I found it on Tidal. Lined up for a couple of upcoming long train journeys. Just have to remember to not sing along out loud