Dick Collins

Larry Kart

Returned for the fist time in a long while to trumpeter Dick Collins' album "King Richard the Swing Hearted" (RCA, 1954), with a a cutdown version of the Woody Herman band of the time, in which Collins was a featured soloist. A lovely lyrical player with an unusually mellow tone.  Arranmgements by Nat Pierce and Al Cohn. There was a previous album, "Horn of Plenty," which I used to have. Collins became a music librarian. Both albums are packaged as one on Fresh Sound.

Over 20 years ago I received a call from Dick Collins' grandson. I was still doing production work for Uptown and Charles "Baron" Mingus West Coast 1945-49 was a recent release. He was calling to inform me his grandfather was one of the unidentified trumpet players on the Rex Hollywood session. He said his grandfather often mentioned the date and was proud to have participated.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Over 20 years ago I received a call from Dick Collins' grandson. I was still doing production work for Uptown and Charles "Baron" Mingus West Coast 1945-49 was a recent release. He was calling to inform me his grandfather was one of the unidentified trumpet players on the Rex Hollywood session. He said his grandfather often mentioned the date and was proud to have participated.

Nice memory.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:47 PM, Larry Kart said:

Nice memory.

And a useful detail to add to the session details in the liner notes of the Baron Mingus Uptown CD. (Check ... done ... )

I remember after I bought the "King Richard" LP (Fresh Sound reissue) in the early 2000s it took me a while and several spins to warm up to it. Time to relisten now ...

On 8/9/2023 at 6:52 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Though as I recall, he is on one or two albums recorded in Paris with members of the Herman Band and some French musicians.

"The Herdsmen Play Paris" on Fantasy.