Art Pepper - The Complete Maiden Voyage Recordings

mjzee

Dave Brubeck was told to fire Gene Wright, but refused. George Shearing encountered similar situations - guess what he told agents and others why he did not care.

I should mention I once lost a gig with a Kurdish singer, the agent who was very satisfied with our playing told me the concert venue managers wanted "a more ethnic" sound and thought a German bassist and percussionist did not fit into that concept. Now she has all Kurdish/Turkish players (on part Western instruments) and does world tours. I don't mind, as she deserves her success, but this kind of thinking sickens the world. A month ago a German didgeridoo player lost an important gig because the concert venue manager accused him of cultural usurpation. I am waiting for the day when somebody wants to forbid me playing African drums. Many shades of the same crazy attitude. People fighting integration, trying to defend a purity of culture that vanished long ago. 

Edited by mikeweil

• 1 month later...