John Marshall

Roger Farbey

John Marshall, best known as drummer with Nucleus and Soft Machine has passed away aged 82. His last studio album Other Doors with Soft Machine was released earlier this year. His contribution to jazz was immense. He played on many significant records including those by Mike Gibbs, Mike Westbrook, John Surman, Graham Collier, Eberhard Weber and Jack Bruce, to name just a few. He will be sorely missed. RIP John.

This is very sad news indeed. Just a few months ago I went to a Soft Machine gig looking forward to seeing and hearing John - it turned out that he had very recently taken retirement after 60 years as an active musician. At the time I was thinking/hoping that he would have a good, long well-earned retirement ahead but I guess from this news that illness must have already prompted that decision. May he RIP.

Remember seeing him quite a number of times in the late 90s/2000s. With John Surman at Jazz Britannia in 2005 springs to mind - a masterful performance. Thinking about it, the first time I saw him would have been in 1983 with Gil Evans' British Orchestra. More recently as I recall he put in a stalwart performance at Ian Carr's Memorial Concert - power with great precision. Also remember seeing him with John Abercrombie. He'll be missed, for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...