Different Piano Comping Styles for Different Instrument Configurations

Teasing the Korean

On 12/17/2023 at 1:52 AM, JSngry said:

These cats will not be owned:

was my first Wayne Shorter LP, and remains one of my favourites. 

But it has no vibes, as the threadstarter had said he want´s to know how to comp vibes. 
And it really seems that the gig didn´t happen. Well if the group is good there´s enough other gigs..... 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

was my first Wayne Shorter LP, and remains one of my favourites. 

But it has no vibes, as the threadstarter had said he want´s to know how to comp vibes. 
And it really seems that the gig didn´t happen. Well if the group is good there´s enough other gigs..... 

The gig did happen, and it went very well!

And my question wasn't about comping for vibes per se, but for vibes and Latin Percussion, where there is a lot of percussive qualities and not a lot of space.  

16 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The gig did happen, and it went very well!

And my question wasn't about comping for vibes per se, but for vibes and Latin Percussion, where there is a lot of percussive qualities and not a lot of space.  

Glad that the gig went well ! Indeed, comping for a more unusual instruments combination would mean some brainstorming for most musicians who usually are compin´ horn´s or other instruments that is not horns but play hornlike-solos. 

I think, combinations like that in most cases are individual groups that perform and record in that manner, so they are booked as a unit, not like in most cases in jazz clubs where there is a star atraction (mostly a horn player) and you are freelancer and get the job. 

But about percussion players. I heard one and he is just fantastic, which is not hard to imagine since he is probably the best in my country. I loved so much what I heard that I knew I must have him for the record we gonna make in january, where he´ll be on some originals I rote, plus on the standard "Tin Tin Deo"....., I´m really lookin´ forward doing that proiect, addin´ a percussion player to the core formation.....

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

But about percussion players. I heard one and he is just fantastic, which is not hard to imagine since he is probably the best in my country. I loved so much what I heard that I knew I must have him for the record we gonna make in january, where he´ll be on some originals I rote, plus on the standard "Tin Tin Deo"....., I´m really lookin´ forward doing that proiect, addin´ a percussion player to the core formation.....

Would you care to tell us his name? 

And please keep us updated on your recording!

Edited by mikeweil