Dark Side of the Moon Redux

Milestones

Thanks for the info, hadn't heard of it.

Artistically it seems like a no-win proposition, but there's undoubtedly good money to be made.

That was never my favorite Pink Floyd album and I've heard it too many times over the years, so no interest in acquiring. But I'll listen to a couple of the tunes if available for free.

6 hours ago, Milestones said:

Anyone aware of Roger Waters remaking this classic album?  What's the point? 

I've read a few articles recently about the new economics of the music business.  Here's one, which is long but which I found really interesting: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/12/12/so-you-want-to-be-a-tiktok-star

Here's what's relevant to your question: 

Swift built her career during the file-sharing era, which changed the business model for many artists, shifting the main source of revenue away from recorded music, which can be pirated, and toward ticket sales to live events. The pandemic ended the touring economy almost overnight. Live-streamed concerts tried to fill the void, but they were pale substitutes for the real thing. With everyone stuck at home, TikTok became the show.

Tours returned in full force in 2022, but the TikTok algorithm has remained the sun around which the music industry orbits, and the arbiter-in-chief of what’s hot. Top Ten songs on radio and streaming charts often start trending first on TikTok. As many as a hundred thousand new tracks are now released by record labels and individual musicians every day on any number of platforms. Having a viral video attached to part of a song is one of the few ways to capture anyone’s attention. Virality also tilts the arcane economics of streaming in the copyright holders’ favor, because the worth of any single stream is based on the percentage of a streaming platform’s total monthly streams that the song commands. In other words, a lot of listens in a short amount of time will make you more money per stream than a slow-burner will.

In a nutshell: People make TikTok videos.  They're short, but they still need music.  If the TikTok creator uses Waters's version rather than Pink Floyd's, Waters will earn the royalties from that TikTok view.  Each view's earnings might be minimal, but it can add up, especially if the algorithm pushes the video to people who might not otherwise see it.

Here's another fascinating article, but you may encounter a firewall: https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/music/streaming-is-changing-the-sound-of-music-182dc907?mod=Searchresults_pos12&page=1  This will be relevant if Waters rearranged any of the DSOTM songs to move the hook or chorus to the initial 30 seconds of the song.

• 2 weeks later...