BFT235 Link & Discussion

webbcity

1. Some nice parts but overall I’m having a hard time getting into this song. Maybe a recording snafu but the sax sounds ethereal in places which is pretty cool. No guesses. Warming up to the track toward the end when things start coming together more. 

2. Sounds Cuban. And sounds like a familiar standard but I can’t name it. I’m guessing a trombone on that first solo and wow is it understated. Arrangement comes across as Benny Goodman goes to Havana - or maybe Woody Herman. I don’t think it’s either one of them, but I think it’s possible they’re an influence on the bandleader.

3. Cheers to the bass player. They are holding it down serious. Tenor sounds close to Johnny Griffin. Trumpet reminds me of Hubbard and maybe on a bad day? There was a nice part to that solo but then it was like he got fenced in and just danced around for a bit. 

4. Such a huge difference here as far as the bass player is concerned. Not that they’re bad here, but definitely a more languid approach and maybe the song calls for that. Song btw is kind of a good slow burner but then it peters out some. The kind of song that would really take off if Pharaoh Sanders was involved.

5. Maybe my favorite song so far. I like how they’re executing this idea. No guesses. 

6. Sounds like a JMs song. Not sure though. This meanders and makes good background music. 

7. I dig the cello(?). They and the guitarist play very well together. Maybe not David Darling…struggling to make a guess here. 

8. I usually like songs like this so maybe it’s just me today. Not tracking with this one. 70s stuff with Rhodes and in need of an editor overall. Guitarist threatens to take this somewhere…Rhodes man steps in to help, but it dies with the bassist. No guesses.

9. This is like Jazz does Carnegie Hall or something like that. Props to the drummer. They’re the best thing here. 

10. Cool little solo sax ditty. Nice song, no guesses. 

11. Now this sounds like a JMs tune too. Better than 6 though. Pharoah-ish  sax, at least a little toward the end of that solo. Love what the drums and bass are doing throughout. No guesses but this is a really good song. 

12. Going out on the funk tip. Nice breakbeat. Cool song but I have no idea. 

Sorry, some of these takes are a bit harsh but that doesn’t indict any of these tracks as bad music. Just my first takes of each song. Will likely revisit. Definitely enjoyed the listen! Thanks for putting this together. 

More on #12:

The Message from the Tribe album posted above had three releases. The first version does not contain #12: side A is three tunes from what was released as Wendell Harrison's An Evening with the Devil, and side B is three tunes shared with later releases of Message from the Tribe. The two subsequent versions of Message from the Tribe added five more tunes. The third version consisted of remixes of the second version. I don't know if the three tunes shared by the first 2 versions used the same mixes.

Harrison's An Evening with the Devil was the first Tribe album I acquired, so I purchased "version 2" of Message from the Tribe (cover pictured upthread) to avoid duplication and get more music. I'm not compulsive enough to have picked up versions 1 or 3.

Late to the party.  I'm certain I should have done better on this than I did, but so be it. 

Track 01 - Like the groove (bass clari?), but less so the drumming and the unemployment stick. Oh wait... that's a dark unemployment stick, isn't it.  It's close, but I'm going to pass on this one.  Sounds a bit too commercial leaning to be Douglas Ewart, so I'll not guess.

Track 02 - Perdido.  You know I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.  Burly tenor, but not entirely sure who.  VERY familiar.  Fat, round trumpet.  Has me thinking Clark Terry based on the sound.  Yeah, there's nothing I don't like about this.  Tone could almost be Getz, but I really like this player more than him.  And what I'm about to say will now make no sense, but maybe Budd Johnson?

Track 03 - Well, no mistaking Jackie, obviously.  Recognize the trumpet, but I'm having an off day.  I'm certain I have this, but can't peg it.

Track 04 - First thought (during head) was Frank Lowe, which is wrong.  Has that Chicago sound.  Ari Brown is certainly a possibility.  LOVE that bass.  I'm going with younger Ari.  So, maybe Harrison Bankhead?  Very much in my happy zone.

Track 05 - Not sure what this is.  Pretty heady.  

Track 06 - Is that NOT you on bass?  Sounds like Erica Lindsey's tenor to me.  If I'm right about that, it could be Baikida Carroll.  But no, there's something Freddie-ish about that trumpet.  Not sure it's someone I'm familiar with.  I like this, but it's toward the academic end of my tolerance.  Love the rhythm section, though.

Track 07 - Something in the choice of lines has me hearing Ron Carter on the lead (solo) bass.  Cello, no?  Not Diedre Murray.  This works, though.  Every bit of it.

Track 08 - This sounds instantly familiar.  Phil Ranelin?  Love the feel of this rhythm section, particularly the drummer.  Not sold on the tenor.  Budget Elvin on drums?  Love the bass. If I have this, it's not in the regular rotation.

Track 09 - Song is conjuriing numerous titles that it is not.  Almost an Ibrahim feel to the piano.  Nice song, no idea who it is.

Track 10 - No idea who.  Interesting, but not riveting.  

Track 11 - In from the get go.  Busy drums, but it works.  No idea.

Track 12 - Now this is SUPER familiar.  Guessing it's something you laid on me, but I've been derelict in my listening duties.  So, we've got Purdy Purdie drums, what sounds like Bennie Maupin on bass clari, a very aggressive, post-Coltrane tenor, and it all seems to work quite well.  I feel like I'm watching a tail in the rearview mirror, perhaps an early 70s Lincoln, who doesn't seem to care that I know he's following me.  but I can't say who it might be (in the car OR on the recording).

On 10/10/2023 at 2:36 PM, Dub Modal said:

1. Some nice parts but overall I’m having a hard time getting into this song. Maybe a recording snafu but the sax sounds ethereal in places which is pretty cool. No guesses. Warming up to the track toward the end when things start coming together more. 

The sound quality definitely does not help this one. I'm a fan of the composition myself, and the playing, but the overall production asks a lot of the listener.

2. Sounds Cuban. And sounds like a familiar standard but I can’t name it. I’m guessing a trombone on that first solo and wow is it understated. Arrangement comes across as Benny Goodman goes to Havana - or maybe Woody Herman. I don’t think it’s either one of them, but I think it’s possible they’re an influence on the bandleader.

Possibly! This one has been ID'd and has many "well-known" folks involved.

3. Cheers to the bass player. They are holding it down serious. Tenor sounds close to Johnny Griffin. Trumpet reminds me of Hubbard and maybe on a bad day? There was a nice part to that solo but then it was like he got fenced in and just danced around for a bit. 

Agreed on the bass player! This has been ID'd as JMac, with Donald Byrd on trumpet. Bassist is Paul Chambers.

4. Such a huge difference here as far as the bass player is concerned. Not that they’re bad here, but definitely a more languid approach and maybe the song calls for that. Song btw is kind of a good slow burner but then it peters out some. The kind of song that would really take off if Pharaoh Sanders was involved.

Was hoping this one would surprise a lot of people... it has been ID'd also, and I was hoping people would guess in a much different direction which I think did ultimately happen. The bass player here is far from a household name but I like what he does.

5. Maybe my favorite song so far. I like how they’re executing this idea. No guesses. 

This one really haunted me for a while, as I commented earlier. A hard one to guess though as there's little improvisation on it. I think this is one of the few that hasn't been ID'd.

6. Sounds like a JMs song. Not sure though. This meanders and makes good background music. 

This has been ID'd though it was another one I was hoping to "fool" people with. :) 

7. I dig the cello(?). They and the guitarist play very well together. Maybe not David Darling…struggling to make a guess here. 

This may be another one that's tough for folks to guess but it's a great track and album in my opinion.

8. I usually like songs like this so maybe it’s just me today. Not tracking with this one. 70s stuff with Rhodes and in need of an editor overall. Guitarist threatens to take this somewhere…Rhodes man steps in to help, but it dies with the bassist. No guesses.

You may be surprised at the reveal on this one...see page 1 of this thread.

9. This is like Jazz does Carnegie Hall or something like that. Props to the drummer. They’re the best thing here. 

I wasn't familiar with the drummer before hearing this. It's the pianist's date (which you probably guessed).

10. Cool little solo sax ditty. Nice song, no guesses. 

Most definitely someone you know. This was ID'd fairly quickly, which surprised the hell outta me (damn you Joe! :D ).

11. Now this sounds like a JMs tune too. Better than 6 though. Pharoah-ish  sax, at least a little toward the end of that solo. Love what the drums and bass are doing throughout. No guesses but this is a really good song. 

I'm glad there have been so many good responses to this one. This was ID'd by Shazam (damn you Felser! :D ). But he didn't post the answer, so it is still a mystery. :) 

12. Going out on the funk tip. Nice breakbeat. Cool song but I have no idea. 

This has been ID'd also and I'm guessing you're familiar with this record!

Sorry, some of these takes are a bit harsh but that doesn’t indict any of these tracks as bad music. Just my first takes of each song. Will likely revisit. Definitely enjoyed the listen! Thanks for putting this together. 

Hey, all good! Glad it was somewhat enjoyable anyway. Thanks for listening!

Thom, I just realized I accidentally revealed a couple of these to you the other night that were actually NOT publicly ID'd yet. Whoops! :o 

On 10/18/2023 at 1:11 PM, tkeith said:

Late to the party.  I'm certain I should have done better on this than I did, but so be it. 

Track 01 - Like the groove (bass clari?), but less so the drumming and the unemployment stick. Oh wait... that's a dark unemployment stick, isn't it.  It's close, but I'm going to pass on this one.  Sounds a bit too commercial leaning to be Douglas Ewart, so I'll not guess.

This is one I accidentally spilled the beans on. So you know now who it is. Unless, per our conversations on declining memory, you already forgot?... :) 

Track 02 - Perdido.  You know I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.  Burly tenor, but not entirely sure who.  VERY familiar.  Fat, round trumpet.  Has me thinking Clark Terry based on the sound.  Yeah, there's nothing I don't like about this.  Tone could almost be Getz, but I really like this player more than him.  And what I'm about to say will now make no sense, but maybe Budd Johnson?

You nailed CT and are otherwise in the right ballpark. This has been ID'd on pg 1... I think probably by the legendary JSngry?

Track 03 - Well, no mistaking Jackie, obviously.  Recognize the trumpet, but I'm having an off day.  I'm certain I have this, but can't peg it.

Bingo bongo!

Track 04 - First thought (during head) was Frank Lowe, which is wrong.  Has that Chicago sound.  Ari Brown is certainly a possibility.  LOVE that bass.  I'm going with younger Ari.  So, maybe Harrison Bankhead?  Very much in my happy zone.

I told you who this was too, and it was ID'd by Joe previously. This a recent favorite LP of mine, great stuff IMO!

Track 05 - Not sure what this is.  Pretty heady.  

One of the few that hasn't been ID'd and may not be... but you know these people. :) 

Track 06 - Is that NOT you on bass?  Sounds like Erica Lindsey's tenor to me.  If I'm right about that, it could be Baikida Carroll.  But no, there's something Freddie-ish about that trumpet.  Not sure it's someone I'm familiar with.  I like this, but it's toward the academic end of my tolerance.  Love the rhythm section, though.

I'm gonna have to play you more of this record sometime to get your take on it. I alternately think it's really good and/or kind of funny. Hard to explain until you hear it.

Track 07 - Something in the choice of lines has me hearing Ron Carter on the lead (solo) bass.  Cello, no?  Not Diedre Murray.  This works, though.  Every bit of it.

Yes, it's Ron Carter! No, I'm kidding but it's amazing how many people have guessed him. 

Track 08 - This sounds instantly familiar.  Phil Ranelin?  Love the feel of this rhythm section, particularly the drummer.  Not sold on the tenor.  Budget Elvin on drums?  Love the bass. If I have this, it's not in the regular rotation.

Phil is in here somewhere, but not this track! This one has been ID'd.

Track 09 - Song is conjuriing numerous titles that it is not.  Almost an Ibrahim feel to the piano.  Nice song, no idea who it is.

It is a nice song, the tune itself is what really drew me in initially.

Track 10 - No idea who.  Interesting, but not riveting.  

I am crying.

Track 11 - In from the get go.  Busy drums, but it works.  No idea.

This one I also accidentally revealed to you. Although if you cheated and used Shazam like Felser, you would have gotten it anyway. :D 

Track 12 - Now this is SUPER familiar.  Guessing it's something you laid on me, but I've been derelict in my listening duties.  So, we've got Purdy Purdie drums, what sounds like Bennie Maupin on bass clari, a very aggressive, post-Coltrane tenor, and it all seems to work quite well.  I feel like I'm watching a tail in the rearview mirror, perhaps an early 70s Lincoln, who doesn't seem to care that I know he's following me.  but I can't say who it might be (in the car OR on the recording).

I'm absolutely sure I gave you a copy of this one!! Nailed the Lincoln!

On 10/12/2023 at 8:20 AM, T.D. said:

More on #12:

The Message from the Tribe album posted above had three releases. The first version does not contain #12: side A is three tunes from what was released as Wendell Harrison's An Evening with the Devil, and side B is three tunes shared with later releases of Message from the Tribe. The two subsequent versions of Message from the Tribe added five more tunes. The third version consisted of remixes of the second version. I don't know if the three tunes shared by the first 2 versions used the same mixes.

Harrison's An Evening with the Devil was the first Tribe album I acquired, so I purchased "version 2" of Message from the Tribe (cover pictured upthread) to avoid duplication and get more music. I'm not compulsive enough to have picked up versions 1 or 3.

Yeah, it is super confusing. I have several different versions myself, on both CD and LP. All reissues. But there is one fairly recent 2CD "deluxe edition" or something to that effect that has many of the different takes and mixes over the two discs. 

We're in the final 24 hours folks, make your final guesses! :)

I believe the tracks that haven't been ID'd are tracks 1, 5, 7, 9, and 11.

And just by chance, while looking up the Discogs pages on these for the final reveal, I discovered that our own Ken Dryden knows track #9 and gave it 5 stars, so ask him if you don't know! ;)