BFT 236 (4orda ppl EZPZ Mix)

JSngry

I don't know about "easiest" by any stretch but it surely is going down easy.

Is #1 one of those Newport in New York jams that took up an entire side?

Is Roy Eldridge on both jams?

And this should be rejected out of hand as a wild guess:  Grover on #3.

And I am ... out.

Edited by Dan Gould

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Most likely it does.

Easy, see? 

Well I am taking total credit for coming up with Newport in New York as source. It took an easy one for me to nail something. <Green Smilie Here>

Timing on side 2 of that LP isn't exactly what your track has but it certainly fits the tune.

59 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Wow. Great band.

And an at once unlikely and yet simpatico one, especially the rhythm section, imo. There is some connective tissue, but only some. 

Although, this is only a "band" in the sense that they were together on this stage at this time. 

1. First thought was the Kenny Burrell Ellington Is Forever sides, but it's live, and I don't hear much guitar.  Now I'm thinking JATP, maybe Illinois Jacquet, Sonny Criss and Milt Buckner?
2. And I'll go with more JATP.  The high note precision at the end makes me think Cat Anderson, and wonder if another trumpet played the lyrical lead solo.  More organ, maybe the same guy, maybe not.
3. Brawny romanticism on tenor, then Bass Clarinet.  Ben Webster and Harry Carney?

28 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

1. First thought was the Kenny Burrell Ellington Is Forever sides, but it's live, and I don't hear much guitar.  Now I'm thinking JATP, maybe Illinois Jacquet, Sonny Criss and Milt Buckner?
2. And I'll go with more JATP.  The high note precision at the end makes me think Cat Anderson, and wonder if another trumpet played the lyrical lead solo.  More organ, maybe the same guy, maybe not.
3. Brawny romanticism on tenor, then Bass Clarinet.  Ben Webster and Harry Carney?

Don't know about number 3 but you got two names right on the first two tunes as well as there being two trumpets.

7 hours ago, randyhersom said:

...maybe Illinois Jacquet, Sonny Criss... 

Point of fact, and also a possibly provocative point to ponder - the tenor player here was born in 1913, the altoist in 1939. Literally a generation apart, and more than one generation musically. And yet, both sound cozy and deep in the pocket, which is the same for both.