2023-24 MLB Hot Stove League

Beltre as first-ballot was a given ... OTOH Billy Wagner waiting until ballot #10 is ridiculous.

Says here that Wagner and Beltran get in next year.

And color me totally unconcerned that Sheffield is finished with the writer's ballot.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a little over two weeks till pitchers and catchers report. Where do the Boras Four (Snell, Montgomery, Bellinger, Chapman) end up landing? Is Montgomery waiting for Texas to iron out their TV contract issue? That seems to be the conventional wisdom. Reports that Snell turned down 6 yrs/$150 million from the Yankees and wants 9 yrs/$270 million… good luck getting that. I think even the Yankees’ offer was a risky overpay to a guy who just turned 31, but any kind of decent starting pitching goes for a premium these days, so maybe he ends up getting more than that from another team. 

1 minute ago, ghost of miles said:

Just a little over two weeks till pitchers and catchers report. Where do the Boras Four (Snell, Montgomery, Bellinger, Chapman) end up landing? Is Montgomery waiting for Texas to iron out their TV contract issue? That seems to be the conventional wisdom. Reports that Snell turned down 6 yrs/$150 million from the Yankees and wants 9 yrs/$270 million… good luck getting that. I think even the Yankees’ offer was a risky overpay to a guy who just turned 31, but any kind of decent starting pitching goes for a premium these days, so maybe he ends up getting more than that from another team. 

Even when contracts were drawn out before the last CBT this seems even later than normal for so much talent to be unsigned.

Hoping the Cubs sign Bellinger.  No longer have any expectation the Red Sox do shit to improve their rotation.  Their trio/quartet of youngsters step up or its another last place finish.  How pathetic will that be?

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I thought I heard two billionaires?  That means money to keep the young talent they have. And maybe more competition for the Yankees on future free agents. Assuming the Dodgers don't just  get everybody they want.

Ripken is in on it, which I like just on principle.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:28 AM, ghost of miles said:

Is Montgomery waiting for Texas to iron out their TV contract issue? That seems to be the conventional wisdom.

That's what everybody is hoping, but nobody knows.

Or if they do, they ain't sayin'.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:28 PM, ghost of miles said:

Reports that Snell turned down 6 yrs/$150 million from the Yankees and wants 9 yrs/$270 million… good luck getting that. I think even the Yankees’ offer was a risky overpay to a guy who just turned 31, but any kind of decent starting pitching goes for a premium these days, so maybe he ends up getting more than that from another team. 

A 31 years old pitcher demanding a 9 yrs contract .... awareness for reality seems fading away ....

• 2 weeks later...