What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit the local record show this afternoon... pretty anemic selection but walked away with these.

Bob Dylan - Street Legal (CD/SACD Hybrid)

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy (CD/SACD Hybrid)

Miroslav Vitous - Universal Syncopations (ECM)

James Carter - Out of Nowhere (Half Note)

Art Blakey - Blakey (Verve Elite Edition)

Following a recommendation from this board plus finding Italian cds at a cheap price, bought this from Jazz Loft.

Raido 3 Sessions - Domino Quartet (Auand)

A Small Madness - David Binney / Jeff Hirshfield (Auand)

Beauty is a Rare Thing - Giancarlo Tossani (Auand)

Coherent Deformation - Giancarlo Tossani (Auand)

Virus - Francesco Bearzatti (Auand)

Trio 3 + Geri Allen: At This Time - Andrew Cyrille / Oliver Lake / Reggie Workman (Intakt )

From the many great suggestions in the Charles Mingus thread, I bought a pair of titles to accompany the Ah Um 50th Anniversary (Legacy Edition). (Ah Um / Mingus Dynasty 2-fer)

51yppbE75aL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Night at Cafe Bohemia/Pithecanthropus Erectus Session (2-CD)

41ZYangAjUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Tijuana Moods

I'll try these on for size for a while and see if or where I might wanna go after that.

Edited by mikelz777

ROUN1127_Cover.jpg

My copy of Naftule Brandwein - King of the Klezmer Clarinet arrived today. I've been enjoying a burned copy someone gave me, but I wanted a legit copy with liner notes and info. The notes make kind of a deal of the rivalry between Brandwein and fellow clarinetist Dave Tarras, whose music I've also been enjoying lately. Tarras was the Lee Konitz to Brandwein's Bird, or maybe more like Jimmie Noone to Brandwein's Johnny Dodds. In any case, this is some excellent, passionate music, mostly from the twenties.

James Moody, Moody's Mood for Blues/James Moody's Moods (OJC/Prestige)

Thanks to whoever reminded me of this one on the board a little while ago. Great stuff, which I last heard on Esquire 10" LP. (Sidewinder please note :) )

d92281pecn4.jpg

Noted - don't think I've ever seen an Esquire of that one. Wonder what the cover art was like?

James Moody, Moody's Mood for Blues/James Moody's Moods (OJC/Prestige)

Thanks to whoever reminded me of this one on the board a little while ago. Great stuff, which I last heard on Esquire 10" LP. (Sidewinder please note :) )

d92281pecn4.jpg

Noted - don't think I've ever seen an Esquire of that one. Wonder what the cover art was like?

That I don't recall. I never owned it, but borrowed it from Leeds Public Libraries. Looking back, they were decidedly progressive for c.1960; e.g. they had many of the Gene Ammons Prestige jam sessions - on Esquire, too I think - 12" LPs, though. (You'll be able to correct me on that.)

Edited by BillF

Leeds Public Libraries. Looking back, they were decidedly progressive for c.1960; e.g. they had many of the Gene Ammons Prestige jam sessions - on Esquire, too I think. (You'll be able to correct me on that.)

Damn - I was just down the road (although in a nappy ) :lol: . No excuse, I know.

I think the Ammons LPs did appear on Esquire (or possibly Stateside) - for sure the Coltrane jam sessions were issued by them. Pretty rare LPs - only in the few hundreds in many cases. Oh to have a time machine and a Leeds Public Library ticket !

Leeds Public Libraries. Looking back, they were decidedly progressive for c.1960; e.g. they had many of the Gene Ammons Prestige jam sessions - on Esquire, too I think. (You'll be able to correct me on that.)

Damn - I was just down the road (although in a nappy ) :lol: . No excuse, I know.

I think the Ammons LPs did appear on Esquire (or possibly Stateside) - for sure the Coltrane jam sessions were issued by them. Pretty rare LPs - only in the few hundreds in many cases. Oh to have a time machine and a Leeds Public Library ticket !

Did we all live in Leeds in the fifties?

MG

MG

Yes, Jimmy Saville as well! :crazy:

MG

I knew about him, but not you and Sidewinder.

MG

MG

I knew about him, but not you and Sidewinder.

MG

You weren't looking in the right places. <_<

61ls92NjaLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Wynton Marsalis - Live At The Village Vanguard (7-CD)

I wasn't in the market for this but I happened across a new copy of this set for less than $12.00 delivered so I thought it was probably well worth taking a chance on it.

Addendum: Alas, my great deal is not to be, the order was cancelled. Amazon totally removed the listing from my order history so I can't even leave any kind of feedback.

Edited by mikelz777