What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In today's mail came, Bobby Previte and So Percussion--Terminals, a full year after the funding campaign, and also Dave Burrell/Steve Swell--Turning Point (No Business), very quickly arrived all the way from Lithuania, and finally, Albert King, Live in the 70s (Rockbeat).

I've been on a Bob Dylan kick lately. I've never been more than a casual fan and until now, the only work of his in my collection was the 3-CD "Biograph" and "Oh Mercy". Out of curiosity while at the library the other day I checked out The Bootleg series vol.8 "Tell Tale Signs: Rare And Unreleased 1989-2006". I've given it a listen and the music is really clicking with me. I liked it so much I bought my own copy along with "The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3 : Rare And Unreleased, 1961-1991". Now I'm giving serious consideration to The Bootleg Series vol 11 - "The Basement Tapes Raw", and vol. 10, "Another Self Portrait (1969-1971)".

Bob_Dylan_-_The_Bootleg_Series,_Volume_8Bob_Dylan_-_The_Bootleg_Series,_Volumes_

One last hoo-ra at Reckless. Hopefully they'll fill it (I think the cutoff is the 6th):

ANDERSON, FRED/ DKV TRIO--FRED ANDERSON/ DKV TRIO (MINI LP SLEEVE) on CD 1@$7.99 = $7.99
GUSTAFSSON, MATS--MOUTH EATING TREES on CD 1@$8.99 = $8.99
LEWIS, GEORGE--HOMAGE TO CHARLIE PARKER on CD 1@$8.99 = $8.99
GUY, BARRY NEW ORCHESTRA--INSCAPE- TABLEAUX (SWISS IMPORT) on CD 1@$14.99 = $14.99
BENDIAN, GREGG--GREGG BENDIAN'S INTERZONE (REISSUE) on CD 1@$8.99 = $8.99
TCHICAI, JOHN--LOVE NOTES FROM THE MADHOUSE on CD 1@$6.99 = $6.99

Picked up some vinyl in Baltimore yesterday:

Steve Lacy - THE WAY - 2LP test pressing. I've not come across any Lacy test pressings before, so am quite curious about it.

Hal Russell - NRG Ensemble - CONSERVING NRG- Principally Jazz label.

Anthony Braxton - FOUR COMPOSITIONS (QUARTET) 1983

George Lewis-Douglas Ewart - s/t - Black Saint. Glad to get some Ewart on vinyl.

Also picked up a couple of Ran Blake CDs at his concert:

Driftwoods

Suffield Gothic

Steve Lacy - THE WAY - 2LP test pressing. I've not come across any Lacy test pressings before, so am quite curious about it.

A real test pressing or a promo copy? In the original hat Hut packaging?

Either way, WHOA!

Yeah, that's what I thought! Looks like a real test pressing. The LP labels are printed, "Windsor Records Inc." The LP sleeves have some album side notations in pencil. Yes, in Hat Hut pictorial jacket, but it is a single sleeve affair (was the commercial issue also?), with a photo of the group on the inside of the back sleeve, and "Notes" on the inside of the front sleeve. Looking at it a little more, it looks like a pre-production issue, since the sleeves are in paper form (although with final cover illustrations), and not in stiff cardboard. I haven't had a chance to research it yet, but it looks interesting!

The original commercial issue was a gatefold "two-fer" style package, not a lot on the inside really, (probably the same photo that you have on the back is inside right), but if you've got the original cover art in a single sleeve and with labels like that and not those of the regular issue...what a fascinating find!

Here's a link to consider on a "what the hell" basis:http://www.bizapedia.com/ct/WINDSOR-RECORDS-AND-TAPES-INC.html

Just looked at my copy, and it's got MASTERDISK stamped in the dead wax, as well as EDP inside an oval, along with the regular matrix #...no way do I claim to be a scholar of such things, or even remotely aware of them, but there's this: http://www.masterdisk.com/about-masterdisk/ and this http://www.christmachine.com/tag/dead-wax/ which seems to me to be contradictory, how can it be both MASTERDISK and EDP?, but like I said, I don't know about any of this. Just having "Windsor" thrown into the mix...sounds like an adventure ready to get going, if you ask me. Congrats!

Thanks Jim for the info. Thought I'd post the LP label:

IMG_2859.jpg?noCache=1417879066

The dead wax on mine also has a Masterdisk stamp and "EDP" in an oval, and the matrix # is HH2 RO3. The album sleeves have a "W" printed on them (Windsor?). Anyway, I have some homework to do; could be interesting. Thanks for that information.

Cool indeed. Do you think this is the original pressing or the later reissue?

I seem to have finally scored The Baptised Traveller! And for $10 to boot. White whale!

Provisionally, it looks to be the original, since it has the original artwork and matrix numbers (see above post), per Discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Lacy-The-Way/release/1305917

Congrats on "The Baptised Traveller," you've been picking up some very cool CDs lately.

You will not be disappointed with Baptised Traveller, Colin

That Lacy certainly intrigues, Leeway. We'll all await your further research (now all I need is to 'get' Lacy. I know, akin to heresy on this board)

just pulled the trigger on Luther Thomas - 11the Street Fire Suite LP. Been after a copy for a while....intrigued and have no idea what it'll sound like. An adventure

That Lacy certainly intrigues, Leeway. We'll all await your further research (now all I need is to 'get' Lacy. I know, akin to heresy on this board)

I know you weren't asking, and maybe "getting" Lacy isn't a goal of yours. But if it is, my suggestion is to try out some of his trio recordings from the 1990s, like Bye-Ya and The Holy La on Freelance - or, even better, the live The Rent on Cavity Search, if that one is still findable.

His earlier quintet and sextet recordings, even though they are held in high esteem, aren't a good place to start, in my opinion.

Thank you, you're answering a question I often ask myself when so many people who's musical tastes I admire are so enthusiastic about Lacy and I just seem to have a block there. I'll certainly have a look for those you suggest.

edit to add: Just found 'The Rent' on Spotify!

Edited by mjazzg

"The Window" is an earlier wonderous date on Soul Note

As I've posted recently, I'm "hearing" Lacy like I never had before. I used to like the Steve Potts solos/improvisations more than Lacy's. Now I love them both. What I hear more than anything else is that his improvising is totally without cliche or pat licks. The control he has of that crazy horn is unmatched by anyone I've heard play that crazy horn - at least in the upper register or beyond the point where the soprano is "supposed" to be heard or played.

I still think Morning Joy is a great introduction to Lacy. A quartet recording that has it all - Lacy compositions plus a couple of great Monk tunes with the band stretching out. From 1986, I believe

Damn - pretty soon I might turn into Jeff or my friend Paul B!!!

Lacy is not somebody to listen to if you're not one for the very deliberate expansion of ideas. He drives some people crazy with that, people be in such a hurry about things sometimes, but as somebody who feels you can never take too much time to get anything right, he tickles me pink. Plus, what he's really doing is "worrying" a note in super-slo-mo, breaking it down into mega lines that if sped up would be just one worried note. He's like a blues player who is using the blues vibrational plane to put forth a plan in full minute detail, like life is a debate class, here's my premise, fully extrapolated, you think you can find a hole in this logic, go for it, and good luck.

Lacy is not somebody to listen to if you're not one for the very deliberate expansion of ideas. He drives some people crazy with that, people be in such a hurry about things sometimes, but as somebody who feels you can never take too much time to get anything right, he tickles me pink. Plus, what he's really doing is "worrying" a note in super-slo-mo, breaking it down into mega lines that if sped up would be just one worried note. He's like a blues player who is using the blues vibrational plane to put forth a plan in full minute detail, like life is a debate class, here's my premise, fully extrapolated, you think you can find a hole in this logic, go for it, and good luck.

I Ike this!

YET he comes across as a quick and agile thinker/player.

Well put. Reminds me of an anecdote Josh Sinton passed along. Lacy told Sinton he should literally "walk his scales", i.e. walk back & forth a step for each note on a scale. Lacy said it took him a little bit before he felt like he got it down. "How long?" Sinton asked. "Oh, about 25 years" said Lacy.

Still view Potts as 2nd rate. Never had a problem with Lacy.

New used vinyl today:

Oliver Lake "Life Dance of Is" Novus

Terry Gibbs "Vibes on Velvet" Emarcy

Terry Giggs "Swingin'" Emarcy

Total of $14 - the two Gibbs are from 55 and 56 with Al Cohn, Hal McKusick, Terry Pollard, erc.

This is not the first time I've heard similar things said about Potts

I think his playing on the Lacy recordings I have from the 80's is excellent.

Vibrant, expressive and his tone is gorgeous.

In fact, his solo on Wickets from Morning Joy is one of my favorite alto saxophone solos I've heard by anyone. His improvisation on the uptempo tune Blinks (second track) from the 1983 recording sets the tone for the great 2 CD set.

Different strokes.....

Edited by Steve Reynolds