What music did you buy today?

tonym

Several nice Ebay deals:

Thelonious Monk - Criss-Cross

Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser

51si8FzN5UL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51ZUHxYL-lL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

(I confess that I'm buying these as much, if not more, for Charlie Rouse than for Monk.)

Chet Baker/Bud Shank - Theme Music from The James Dean Story

Herbie Harper - Herbie Harper Sextet!

518PZR5TM9L._SL500_AA240_.jpgd57251p90cc.jpg

Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots

41TEAVJKCQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice one, Bill.

A few days ago got Little Richard: The Georgia Peach. Little Richard is one of the many first-wave 50's rock'n'rollers of whom I had plenty of stuff on vinyl but nothing as yet in digital form. There's a guy I talk to once in a while at the library who's a big fan of 50's rock artists...I mentioned Little Richard to him once and he said, "I love him! He sang like his head was about to explode!" Can't get that phrase out of my (unexplosive) mind. Anyway, this single disc has on it everything that I already had on LP and about four more songs besides. Nice.

Recently ordered:

Von Freeman -- "Have No Fear" (nessa)

(best I could find is an old LP cover shot)

3794969481_8b00f17f0b.jpg

The Convergence Quartet -- "Live in Oxford" (fmr)

41-0VBWdBvL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The first is a Japanese issue, I believe. The incredible "Vonski Speaks" pretty much lit a fire under me for this one, particularly in light of Chuck's involvement.

The second is a quartet that includes board member Alexander Hawkins along with Taylor Ho Bynum. Have been so impressed with Hawkins' "No Now Is So" I felt compelled to explore more of his music. Looking forward to both very much.

That's a nice one, Bill.

A few days ago got Little Richard: The Georgia Peach. Little Richard is one of the many first-wave 50's rock'n'rollers of whom I had plenty of stuff on vinyl but nothing as yet in digital form. There's a guy I talk to once in a while at the library who's a big fan of 50's rock artists...I mentioned Little Richard to him once and he said, "I love him! He sang like his head was about to explode!" Can't get that phrase out of my (unexplosive) mind. Anyway, this single disc has on it everything that I already had on LP and about four more songs besides. Nice.

I love Little Richard! Let's admit it; anyone who digs Don Fagerquist AND Little Richard is on the right track! :rolleyes:

recently:

Junior Mance - Happy Time

Joe Lovano - On This Day at the Vanguard

Count Basie - On My Way & Shoutin' Again

Count Basie - Basie Land

Freddie Hubbard - The Artistry of

Chick Corea/Miroslav Vitous/Roy Haynes - Trio Music Live in Europe

John Mayall - Bare Wires (and a whole lot of others)

also waiting for some stuff to get delivered, including most of Lonehill's "John Graas Project", some Richard & Linda Thompson, the recent Basement Tapes remaster and - yes... - the Dylan x-mas album, too.

recently:

Junior Mance - Happy Time

Joe Lovano - On This Day at the Vanguard

Count Basie - On My Way & Shoutin' Again

Count Basie - Basie Land

Freddie Hubbard - The Artistry of

Chick Corea/Miroslav Vitous/Roy Haynes - Trio Music Live in Europe

John Mayall - Bare Wires (and a whole lot of others)

also waiting for some stuff to get delivered, including most of Lonehill's "John Graas Project", some Richard & Linda Thompson, the recent Basement Tapes remaster and - yes... - the Dylan x-mas album, too.

I also have On My Way and Shoutin' Again on order. I'm very happy to have a couple of the John Graas albums and Artistry of Hubbard already in my collection. :)

There's a local sale here... they were all pretty cheap (I also bought two by Luiz Bonfa, already had the great one with Maria Toledo), Jobim's "Tide" (not sure if I should get the old version of "Wave", will there be a new one?), some Getz (Au Go Go, In Stockholm), three by Astrud Gilberto (Album, w/Evans, w/Wanderley), and more...

The Mayalls I got (out of the same sale) are: Blues Breakers (w/Clapton), A Hard Road, BBC Sessions (mostly w/Clapton, some with Green, but those are on "A Hard Road" as well, and a couple of unrelated 1975 tracks), Crusade, Bare Wires, Laurel Canyon, The Turning Point, and a later one with Blue Mitchell and Clifford Solomon, Jazz Blues Fusion (that and Turning Point being on Polydor/gram, the others all on Decca). I skipped a few others (Blues Alone, Mayall Plays Mayall and one more, I think). Enjoying those a lot!

And "On My Way & Shoutin' Again" is prime Basie, I'd say! Up to the standards of the Roulette new testament albums!

And "On My Way & Shoutin' Again" is prime Basie, I'd say! Up to the standards of the Roulette new testament albums!

I already have Atomic Mr Basie, Chairman of the Board, Basie at Birdland and Kansas City Suite. Are there any other Roulettes I should know about, or do I have the best ones already?

I already have Atomic Mr Basie, Chairman of the Board, Basie at Birdland and Kansas City Suite. Are there any other Roulettes I should know about, or do I have the best ones already?

I don't have "KC Suite" and "Birdland" but own the live Roulette Mosaic, and someone once burned me a copy of the studio box... I'll still buy whatever studio albums are out there for grabs, but I doubt there'll be many coming out... there's just one more I have recently found, part of Capitol's short-lived (? I guess it's indeed dead?) Vocal Classics series:

512TuviSuqL._SS400_.jpg

Ev'ry Day I Have the Blues

As I'm a big fan of Joe Williams', it was a no-brainer. I didn't even check if it's included in the studio Mosaic or not (I guess it is, but other albums including one with Lambert Hendricks & Ross were omitted). Williams' crooner album "A Man Ain't Supposed to Cry" also came out in that series, just in case!

Other fine studio Roulettes are:

Basie Plays Hefti

One More Time (arrangements by Quincy Jones)

Not Now - I'll Tell You When

Easin' It (arrangements by band members Thad Jones, Frank Foster, Frank Wess)

Back With Basie

The following live Roulettes are recommended:

Live In Sweden (Louis Bellson substitutes for Sonny Payne)

Breakfast Dance & Barbecue

Another fine Verve album is:

Lil' Ol' Groovemaker

I didn't even check if it's included in the studio Mosaic or not (I guess it is, but other albums including one with Lambert Hendricks & Ross were omitted).

The Joe Williams Everyday I Have the Blues album was on the Complete Studio Sessions box, as well as 'Just the Blues' and 'Back to Basie and the Blues'!

Great (and heavy! in its vinyl version) box!

Other fine studio Roulettes are:

Basie Plays Hefti

One More Time (arrangements by Quincy Jones)

Not Now - I'll Tell You When

Easin' It (arrangements by band members Thad Jones, Frank Foster, Frank Wess)

Back With Basie

The following live Roulettes are recommended:

Live In Sweden (Louis Bellson substitutes for Sonny Payne)

Breakfast Dance & Barbecue

Another fine Verve album is:

Lil' Ol' Groovemaker

Thanks for that little list!

Is "Lil' Ol' Groovemaker" out on CD?

"Basie Plays Hefti" is around on one of those highgloss-digipack-boot labels, I think.

41e9fp6j2gL._SS500_.jpg