What music did you buy today?

tonym

I just won Brubeck's The Last Time We Saw Paris (LP) on Ebay. Apparently, I was the only bidder.

The other day picked up a couple of Arnett Cobb OJCs and Jimmy Heath's Little Big Man.

And I have an order on the way from Newbury with two Sam Jones OJCs, Roamin with Richardson, and Art Pepper's San Francisco Samba.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't expecting this until the new year, but it turned up today!

41MZJ61XFBL._SS500_.jpg

With King Curtis, John Wright, Leonard Gaskin & Jump Jackson.

MG

How is it?

Good. Arbee is from the same generation as T-Bone, but a different part of the country, so there are differences. But this has a lot of the same laid back feeling that you get with T-Bone working with some jazz musicians, which he often (even usually) did. His guitar playing is more "primitive" than T-Bone's - but that's only to be expected of a contemporary who didn't make the breakthrough. As an earlier style, Arbee plays well, I think, though I haven't heard much of the pre-T-Bone/Christian styles to be able to judge well.

As for Wright, I haven't focused on his playing yet. The little blurb OJC and OBC CDs had on the back call him "John Young" :)

MG

41MZJ61XFBL._SS500_.jpg

MG

How is it?

Good. Arbee is from the same generation as T-Bone, but a different part of the country, so there are differences. But this has a lot of the same laid back feeling that you get with T-Bone working with some jazz musicians, which he often (even usually) did. His guitar playing is more "primitive" than T-Bone's - but that's only to be expected of a contemporary who didn't make the breakthrough. As an earlier style, Arbee plays well, I think, though I haven't heard much of the pre-T-Bone/Christian styles to be able to judge well.

As for Wright, I haven't focused on his playing yet. The little blurb OJC and OBC CDs had on the back call him "John Young" :)

MG

MG

Are you sure its not John Young, ie the piano player who recorded for Delmark and later backed Von Freeman? I think he was on T-Bone Blues as well. Seems possible.

41MZJ61XFBL._SS500_.jpg

MG

How is it?

MG

MG

Are you sure its not John Young, ie the piano player who recorded for Delmark and later backed Von Freeman? I think he was on T-Bone Blues as well. Seems possible.

As I said, I haven't focused on the pianist yet. But the personnel in the album notes lists it as Wright. So does the Prestige discography. And it was recorded the day before Wright's own album "Nice n' tasty" (both at RVG's). In the interview with Arbee in the sleeve note he mentions that Wright was one of his favourite jazz musicians, and there are refs to his "South side soul" in the note (by Joe Goldberg - who was probably pretty careful about that sort of thing).

Do you mean T-Bone's Atlantic album "T-Bone blues"? Unless there are some additional tracks on a CD release, there are none with Young on my LP copy. One session is with Ray Johnson, another with Lloyd Glenn and a third just says "band accompaniment".

MG

41MZJ61XFBL._SS500_.jpg

MG

How is it?

MG

MG

As I said, I haven't focused on the pianist yet. But the personnel in the album notes lists it as Wright. So does the Prestige discography. And it was recorded the day before Wright's own album "Nice n' tasty" (both at RVG's). In the interview with Arbee in the sleeve note he mentions that Wright was one of his favourite jazz musicians, and there are refs to his "South side soul" in the note (by Joe Goldberg - who was probably pretty careful about that sort of thing).

Do you mean T-Bone's Atlantic album "T-Bone blues"? Unless there are some additional tracks on a CD release, there are none with Young on my LP copy. One session is with Ray Johnson, another with Lloyd Glenn and a third just says "band accompaniment".

MG

OK, that sounds pretty definitive. BTW , the Atlantic discography I use lists John Young as pianist on T-Bone Shuffle and Papa Ain't Salty.

Edited by BruceM

How is it?

MG

MG

MG

OK, that sounds pretty definitive. BTW , the Atlantic discography I use lists John Young as pianist on T-Bone Shuffle and Papa Ain't Salty.

Damn! I should have taken the LP out of its sleeve! On the inner sleeve, I'd copied the entry from the Atlantic discography (which I don't have but got from the library many years ago), and yes, there's John Young in there!

:rsmile:

MG

What does a jazz lover do with Christmas money? Buy jazz CDs! These were my final purchases for the old year which will help me ring in the new year. I'm hoping the embarrasing amount I've been spending on CDs the last couple of months will help me resolve to lay off purchasing for a while.

41RTTVC2STL._AA240_.jpg

I've been eyeing this one for quite a while and look forward to hearing some great stuff on this box set.

513B903VW3L._AA240_.jpg41P7VVJTPML._AA240_.jpg

Fleshing out my Horace Silver collection. A lot of you would probably wonder how I could already own 9 Horace Silver CDs and not have either of these titles yet.

The following were ordered from the Concord sale. I'm hoping there are no order fulfillment problems since I heard that some of the sale titles have started to disappear.

41lc2fZ0mPL._AA240_.jpg41EGkO3iiXL._AA240_.jpg

61tvtnWxPtL._AA240_.jpg41T789TKZ9L._AA240_.jpg

According to the Concord site, the 2nd CD shown here is by "Howard" Land. :lol:

21Vw8wk011L._AA130_.jpg4100TVDE3TL._AA240_.jpg

34474310fca0d6bfb35d9010._AA240_.L.jpg

I'm really hoping I get this King Curtis CD. It's a 2-fer that brings together THE NEW SCENE OF KING CURTIS and SOUL MEETING, both done for Prestige in 1960. King Curtis (ts), Nat Adderley (cornet), Wynton Kelly (p), Paul Chambers/Sam Jones (b), and Oliver Jackson/Belton Evans (d). The song samples I heard sounded great!

Edited by mikelz777

Here's the thread

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=38497&hl=

here's my bill

Tales Out of Time - Peter Brotzmann (Hatology)

Stock No. 4642

1 $4.88

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Ornette - Hybrid Identity - Theo Jorgensmann (Hatology)

Stock No. 3919

1 $4.88

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thingin - Lee Konitz (Hatology)

Stock No. 2628

1 $4.88

New Dance - Anthony Ortega (Hatology)

Stock No. 3505

1 $4.88

Scattered Clouds - Anthony Ortega (Hatology)

Stock No. 2208

1 $4.88

Sunrise In Different Dimensions - Sun Ra (Hatology)

Stock No. 2843

1 $4.88

Signs and Epigrams - Sylvie Courvoisier (Tzadik)

Stock No. 12128

1 $14.99

Subtotal: $44.27

Shipping (First-Class Mail International): $9.66

Tax: $0.00

Total: $53.93

Theo's vibes player is something else, isn't he ?

Yes, he's the 'star.'

I assume you guys are talking of Christopher Dell? He's very good indeed! If you have a chance, do check out his own project, DRA (Dell-Ramond-Astor, the names of vibist, bassist and drummer, respectively). I only have several live broadcasts from that trio so far, but I think they have three discs available! As they're getting better and better with the years, I'd go with the latest disc if you intend to buy one.

Here's Dells homepage: >http://www.christopher-dell.de/<

Theo's vibes player is something else, isn't he ?

Yes, he's the 'star.'

I assume you guys are talking of Christopher Dell? He's very good indeed! If you have a chance, do check out his own project, DRA (Dell-Ramond-Astor, the names of vibist, bassist and drummer, respectively). I only have several live broadcasts from that trio so far, but I think they have three discs available! As they're getting better and better with the years, I'd go with the latest disc if you intend to buy one.

Here's Dells homepage: >http://www.christopher-dell.de/<

Thank you!