Kirk Lightsey at Porgy&Bess, Vienna

Yesterday I saw that concert "Music for Wayne", Mr. Lightsey with Paul Zauner tb, Wolfram Derschmidt (b) and my favourite drummer Dusan Novakov. 
There was also a very very fine alto saxophonist, but his name was not advertised so maybe he was a last minute add for unknown reasons. 

A part of the repertory was songs written by Wayne or dedicated to him. I remember "Fee - Fo-Fum" which Lightey had recorded in 1983, then the wonderful "Infant Eyes" and McCoy Tyners "Contemplation", but there was also other songs and some blues in Bb. 

One of the finest moments towards the end was the drum solo by the wonderful drummer Dusan Novakov 

After the concert I met Mr. Lightsey to talk with him, just a wonderful gentleman, and I had the LP from 1983 with me (the one on which Chet Baker is sittin in for two tunes), which also has some Wayne Shorter songs (among them "Fee-Fo-Fum" ). and got it signed. 

It was a wonderful evening I enjoyed very much. 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yesterday I saw that concert "Music for Wayne", Mr. Lightsey with Paul Zauner tb, Wolfram Derschmidt (b) and my favourite drummer Dusan Novakov. 
There was also a very very fine alto saxophonist, but his name was not advertised so maybe he was a last minute add for unknown reasons. 

A part of the repertory was songs written by Wayne or dedicated to him. I remember "Fee - Fo-Fum" which Lightey had recorded in 1983, then the wonderful "Infant Eyes" and McCoy Tyners "Contemplation", but there was also other songs and some blues in Bb. 

One of the finest moments towards the end was the drum solo by the wonderful drummer Dusan Novakov 

After the concert I met Mr. Lightsey to talk with him, just a wonderful gentleman, and I had the LP from 1983 with me (the one on which Chet Baker is sittin in for two tunes), which also has some Wayne Shorter songs (among them "Fee-Fo-Fum" ). and got it signed. 

KIrk Lightsey -- #JazzFromDetroit

Kirk played our small local club (alas no more) around 15 years ago now with his 'British' touring trio (he lives in France I think). As well as being an absolute gent, signing his latest CD and happily chatting with me about stuff such as the Chet Baker Prestige dates, he was such a cheery, positive spirit. Enjoyment of life just leeches from him !

The other time I saw him was as part of Charles Tolliver's orchestra in London.

56 minutes ago, bresna said:

As far as I know, Kirk has not played in the Boston area for as long as I've been going to Jazz shows, which close to 35 years now. I hope I get the chance to see/hear him live someday.

Does he post his upcoming tour dates anywhere? A Google search only pulls up old dates.

He played Smalls last year so here's hoping he gets back there at some stage and we can all watch it on the feed.

On 1/3/2024 at 2:22 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I was listening to this one last night during a bout of insomnia. R-10703086-1502719837-3433.jpg.6a28d92782ead7581ed66f1c34e49fe3.jpg

Some real depth there.

I remember him playing 'Estate' on that club date. Also that great tune of his 'Habiba'.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:01 AM, Gheorghe said:

Thinking about it, I think he signed a couple of my Baker Prestige CDs. Will have to check !

Edited by sidewinder