2024 Blue Note reissues - Keven Gray remasters on CD

Д.Д.

A new Japanese CD (UHQCD, to be exact) series, 40 items so far. I am not into chasing new remasters, so I got Larry Young's "Unity" only - and have to say it sounds just excellent, more neat than the RVG.

https://store.universal-music.co.jp/feature/bluenote85th/?perpage=72 

https://www.discogs.com/label/3561133-ブルーノート85

I have received the first twenty, and have listened to five so far, they all sound excellent. No alternates though, a shame as the previous Japanese reissue of Unity for example had four.

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

No alternates though, a shame as the previous Japanese reissue of Unity for example had four.

Yeah, that’s a crime they haven’t included any of the recent Japanese-exclusive alternates.  I’m glad I got all those I wanted with those alternates (Unity and Out To Lunch especially, plus Mode For Joe had a really nice one — maybe a couple others that were less revelatory).

5 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I have all of these in formats that work for me. 

I imagine all of us do. What some of us might not have are the bonus material that only surfaced in the last decade, and only in Japan.  That would be the only reason for many folks to upgrade — and it’s a real shame they didn’t include those ‘new’ (newish) alternates.  Real missed opportunity.

Some of these seem to be from the Classic Series as well as Tone Pets.  I guess I did not realize Kevin Gray did the classics as well.  Either way, since no bonus tracks on the vinyl, none here to preserve the remastering chain I suppose.

10 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I imagine all of us do. What some of us might not have are the bonus material that only surfaced in the last decade, and only in Japan.  That would be the only reason for many folks to upgrade — and it’s a real shame they didn’t include those ‘new’ (newish) alternates.  Real missed opportunity.

I wouldn't say the only reason . . . there's a sonic upgrade here. I know this place is generally anti-audiophile, but these offer a very good digital playback that most other releases . . . don't. . . in the audiophile scheme of things. So some upgrade for sonic reasons, many don't. Vive la difference.

Edited by jazzbo