Something like...

Pim

With classical music I tend to like solo piano stuff most. I love Chopin, enjoy Debussy and of course Erik Satie. Not very strange as he was an inspirator for Mal Waldron. Also into Philip Glass. So I am looking more for this kind of music. I would describe it as dark, moody, melancholic and with deep emotioneel feel. Also a bit minimalistic. My wife calls it depressing but she has no taste in music (better taste in men of course). I'd say this composition by Satie has it all:

Any listening tips to continue the journey and make my wife feel more depressed?

A couple of others that have come to mind. Both on ECM and not classical but fit within the sound world you're describing, perhaps?

https://ecmrecords.com/product/akroasis-vassilis-tsabropoulos/

https://ecmrecords.com/product/raccolto-stefano-battaglia/ just realised you wanted solo, this is with a bass player

Edited by mjazzg

As my suggestion earlier today seems to some extent to ignore both the solo and classical element of your request I thought I'd better make amends 😃

Here's a favourite (despite its overtly religious inspiration)

Edited by mjazzg

On 1/28/2024 at 2:15 PM, Pim said:

With classical music I tend to like solo piano stuff most. I love Chopin, enjoy Debussy and of course Erik Satie. Not very strange as he was an inspirator for Mal Waldron. Also into Philip Glass. So I am looking more for this kind of music. I would describe it as dark, moody, melancholic and with deep emotioneel feel. Also a bit minimalistic. My wife calls it depressing but she has no taste in music (better taste in men of course). I'd say this composition by Satie has it all:

Any listening tips to continue the journey and make my wife feel more depressed?

First thing I thought of was "Spiegel Im Spiegel" by Arvo Part, although that's actually for piano with violin. Regardless, I love it, though there will probably be some who'd tell me I'm wrong to do so.

In fact, I seem to recall an Arvo Part LP on ECM called Tabula Rasa which may be what you're looking for. It's been about 20 years however, so I could be wrong.

Edited by rdavenport

18 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

First thing I thought of was "Spiegel Im Spiegel" by Arvo Part, although that's actually for piano with violin. Regardless, I love it, though there will probably be some who'd tell me I'm wrong to do so.

Beautiful piece, as is a lot of Part's as far as I'm concerned 

Thanks again. Listened to Scriabin, Ligeti, Mompou. I like it. Still not really what I am looking for. Maybe Philip Glass is the best reference. Already added some John Cage for that reason thanks Jim. Also some Steve Reich and Terry Riley. No idea what to expect but just used some internet tips. I already know Pärt but still have to find that solo piano stuff. Thanks for that. Why would people state it’s wrong to like an artist? That’s silly. 

Than the ECM: I know some of that. Both Bollani and Tsabrapoulos are not really my kind of thing. I sold the cds I had. The Messiaen is one yet to explore so thanks Mark will ad that to my Spotify list.

I realize I am a demanding person, sorry for that 

Anna Gourari plays Sofia Gubaidulina "Ciaccona" (Decca) 2005 .... unfortunately the only track feat this composer, the remainder being written by Alexander Scriabin (expertly performed, but not what you are looking for .... me believe) ....

36 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Anna Gourari plays Sofia Gubaidulina "Ciaccona" (Decca) 2005 .... unfortunately the only track feat this composer, the remainder being written by Alexander Scriabin (expertly performed, but not what you are looking for .... me believe) ....

Thanks. Will definitely give it a try. Listening to more Mompou and like it very much. I’ll keep spinning them. Sometimes it takes a moment to click

Given that you like the Satie piece mentioned in OP, Mompou is a good recommendation.

I think that Howard Skempton might work, though I haven't listened for a while. Many of his pieces are short. I rather like his piano music, though there's a question I've never been able to resolve: is it "deceptively simple" or just "too simple"?

Here's one of the better-known: 

Edited by T.D.