Wonder what the next batch of Conns will have...

connoisseur series500

I heard directly from Michael back in January (or maybe late December) that the Booker Ervin / Woody Shaw date from '68 (or was it '67?) would probably be a Conn, in the next batch (no discussion of when that might be). I'm talking about half of the Ervin two-LP release "Back from the Gig" (the half that wasn't actually lead by Horace Parlan).

Anyone care to make any predictions about what might be in the next batch of Conns???

NOT what you want to be in the next batch...

...but what you THINK will be in the next batch???

What do we (collectively) think Michael is thinking??? :ph34r:

Hey, that's a GREAT idea for what is really Connie's thread, Rooster!!! ;)

I have a funny hunch that Jack Wilson's "Easterly Winds" will be in the next round of Conns. It seems to always fetch a good (sometimes even CRAZY) price on eBay, when I see it come up as a TOCJ.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm certainly not sure that it plays any role, but indirectly, consistant high auction prices may indicate some real interest in the date -- enough that perhaps a number of people have contacted Michael about it, or Blue Note (who presumably passes along those kinds of things to Michael).

Or high prices on eBay may not mean a damn thing either. Depends on the title really, and the specific artist in question.

Anyone care to make any predictions about what might be in the next batch of Conns???

NOT what you want to be in the next batch...

...but what you THINK will be in the next batch???

What do we (collectively) think Michael is thinking???  :ph34r:

Well, we know that Cuscuna likes Andrew Hill and since Hill is typical Connoisseur material and several of his albums have not been on CD or only in the OOP Mosaic set, I think a new Hill Connoisseur is a reasonable guess. Compulsion maybe?

Maybe another Larry Young? Another Jackie McLean from the mid-60s, like Consequence perhaps? Although there are many new McLean BN reissues, so that might make it less likely.

There probably will be something noone thought of also!

I seem to recall that Cuscuna was mulling (positively) over Where is Brooklyn?. I think Compulsion is a good call, too (though I'd personally opt for Andrew!!! or Involution first). I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gerry Mulligan's Complete California Concerts, using the recent Japanese re(Mc)masters, come out as a two-fer.

Natural Essence, plus one track from The Train Wreck (so that TOCJ owners would have to re-purchase)? :P

... did I actually read that Black Fire was coming out as an RVG ...

It's on slate for the (U.S.) RVG rodeo, and it sounds great. (The JRVG of Black Fire sounds great, that is.) Judgment sounds even better (to me), and Smokestack has been wildly improved over the last (Larry Walsh) remaster. I couldn't wait for the U.S. pressings, and dropped some yen-dough into Mr. Tanno's pockets.

From Jazzmatazz

July 2004

NEW Anita O'Day - Swings Cole Porter (Verve VME) July 6

NEW Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto #2 (Verve VME) July 6

Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 13

Andrew Hill - Black Fire (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 13

Freddie Hubbard - The Night of the Cookers, Vols. 1 & 2 - 2 CDs (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 13

Lee Morgan - The Sixth Sense (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 13

Horace Silver - Serenade to a Soul Sister (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 13

Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin' (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 13