Baseball season started!

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another early playoff exit for a punchless, shaky-pitching braves team. when they had pitching, they had no offense. when they had offense last year, they had no pitching. this year, they have neither. pretty scary knowing their season is up to Russ "load 'em up" Ortiz

It's funny, even though it looked like Atlanta had no pitching this year, supposedly they had the best team ERA in the NL. Just barely beat out ST LOUIS. (by 1 run) St Louis and Atlanta had excellent records, but Houston was HOT HOT HOT at the end of the season.

In a short series, Houston may be able to take Atlanta, but Atlanta had a great season considering Lopez and Sheffield both left. I'd love to see Houston play St Louis, but I think it should be Atlanta and St Louis.

And what's with the Yankees???? Another come from behind win! They led the majors this year in come-from-behind wins.

Can't blame Santana.

Dodgers finally WIN one!

Lima pitches the game of his life. 5-hit complete game shut-out.

Still got a BIG hole to climb out of, but if they play "one game at a time", there's still hope.

r1463268621.jpg

Problem with the Dodgers, they score 3 runs the first two games and 4 runs to win the third game.

Can they shut down the St Louis offense the next 2 games?

This doesn't sound good for the Yankees.

From the NYT:

ORLANDO HERNÁNDEZ was not ready for a relief role Saturday, and his availability for the rest of the postseason is questionable. Hernández said his tired shoulder was improving, but slowly. "I still don't feel 100 percent," he said. "I still don't feel as if I can help the team."

Hey, Harold, I got it:

"Moose and Leiber

And the rest pitch like Weaver"

:g

From the NYT:

ORLANDO HERNÁNDEZ was not ready for a relief role Saturday, and his availability for the rest of the postseason is questionable. Hernández said his tired shoulder was improving, but slowly. "I still don't feel 100 percent," he said. "I still don't feel as if I can help the team."

Hey, Harold, I got it:

"Moose and Leiber

Well, Dan, believe it or not, I'll actually be happy for the Bosox if they finally win (though they'd better win the Series if they beat the Yanks!). A Boston-St. Louis rematch would be a great thing to see ("re-match" referring to '46 and '67). I'll be sad to see the myth of the Curse finally dissipate if they do, but genuinely happy for the long-tortured Fenway fans.

Of course, I won't mind a Yankee win either... ^_^

From the NYT:

Hey, Harold, I got it:

"Moose and Leiber

Dan I like your optimism.

Personally I'm very nervous. Head to head I feel like the Sox can take them. But the Yankees pull out dramatic wins that not even a Hollywood script could come up with. It's sickening to see over and over. And it worries me that they will have the last at bat for potentially four games. I'm still not over last year's ALCS. I felt like I was in mourning for days after that defeat.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and the Maalox right near me for the next week and 1/2.

From the NYT:

Hey, Harold, I got it:

"Moose and Leiber

Dan I like your optimism.

Personally I'm very nervous. Head to head I feel like the Sox can take them. But the Yankees pull out dramatic wins that not even a Hollywood script could come up with. It's sickening to see over and over. And it worries me that they will have the last at bat for potentially four games. I'm still not over last year's ALCS. I felt like I was in mourning for days after that defeat.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and the Maalox right near me for the next week and 1/2.

Oh, believe me, there's a part of me that's very nervous, too. But I look it at it like this:

We have the arms to get them out.

They don't have the arms to keep us down.

I mean, if a starter has trouble, we bring in Lowe, who won more games than almost anyone from 2002 to 2003, and pitched quite well for over a month once the defense tightened up. If the Yanks starter gets in trouble, they bring in Loaiza, who is a disaster waiting to happen. Granted, both, qualify as "pitchers not as successful this season as previously," but anyone can tell that if Loaiza comes in, Steinbrenner is reaching for the Maalox. Not so much with Lowe.

As long as Schilling does the job we got him for, I am firm in my belief that everything will be OK.

Well, another factor potentially favoring the Sox: two of Rivera's wife's relatives were electrocuted while cleaning his pool. No word yet on whether he's going to return to Panama, but there's a chance that he might not be available for the first game or two.

Wow. Not an advantage I'd want to have. :mellow:

I much prefer your "Yanks don't win World Series with a Republican in the White House" curse! :g

Speaking of sad turn of events:

+++

Ex-MVP Caminiti dies of heart attack at 41

/ Associated Press

Posted: 9 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) - Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP who later admitted using steroids during his major league career, died Sunday. He was 41.

Caminiti died of a heart attack in the Bronx, said his agent-lawyer Rick Licht. The city medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be performed Monday, spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said.

"I'm still in shock," San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "He was one of my favorite all-time players."

The three-time All-Star third baseman often was in trouble the last few years. His 15-year big league career ended in 2001, five seasons after he led the Padres to a division title and was a unanimous pick for MVP.

Just last Tuesday, he admitted in a Houston court that he violated his probation by testing positive for cocaine last month, and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

But state District Judge William Harmon gave Caminiti credit for the 189 days he already served in jail and a treatment facility since he was sentenced to three years probation for a cocaine arrest in March 2001.

In May 2002, Caminiti told Sports Illustrated that he used steroids during his MVP season, when he hit a career-high .326 with 40 home runs and 130 RBIs. He estimated half the players in the big leagues were also using them.

Caminiti returned to baseball this year as a spring training instructor with San Diego.

"When I saw him in spring training, he didn't look good," Towers said. "I'm not surprised."

"The best way to describe him is that he was a warrior in every sense of the word. I can't tell you how many times I remember him hobbling into the manager's office, barely able to walk, and saying, 'Put me in the lineup."'

Licht said Caminiti was in New York this past weekend to help a friend, but did not go into detail.

"Man, that's just a tough one. I played with him for eight years," Dodgers outfielder Steve Finley said Sunday night, learning of Caminiti's death after St. Louis eliminated Los Angeles from the playoffs.

"He was a great player, but he got mixed up in the wrong things - taking drugs. It's a sad reminder of how bad drugs are and what they can do to your body. It's a loss all of us will feel."

Caminiti batted .272 with 239 homers and 983 RBIs with Houston, San Diego, Texas and Atlanta.

I much prefer your "Yanks don't win World Series with a Republican in the White House" curse!  :g

I hate today's Yankees as much as anybody, but not THAT much! ;)

Hey, I'm only talking about this year, not the next four!

A minor factor that might turn out to be a major factor:

Situational lefties in the bullpen.

The Red Sox have Ortiz and Nixon and Damon from the left side, and Bellhorn and Meuller are tougher from the left than the right. But the Yanks only have Heredia, who has stunk at least 90% of the season and ranks only slightly ahead of Loaiza in the "God help us, I've got to use this guy" category.

On the other hand, the Yanks have Matsui in the cleanup spot, Sierra as DH and Lofton off the bench, plus Bernie and Posada are much more dangerous batting lefty. The Red Sox have Mike Myers, who is very tough on lefties and showed it against Anaheim, for specific lefty matchups, plus Embree, who is tough on lefties but tends to pitch either way.

A definite Red Sox advantage. If the Twins had Myers to go against Sierra, chances are very good the Yanks would have played Game Five last night.

My only disappointment heading into the Series is the fact that they are keeping Wakefield as the number four starter, and with their insistence that they won't use a starter on three day's rest, that means the Yankee killer only gets one start (though he will be available in the bullpen for games 6 and 7.) Obviously, no one read my memo on pitching Wakefield in Game 2 and Pedro in Game 3!

Then again, I don't particularly expect it to go 7 games anyway. :g

Dan,

I'm pullin' for you but the Red Sox have never beaten the Yanks in a big spot. God, I hope this is different. And that ad in the Boston papers about "Let's Go Yanks" reminds me that trite line about not wishing for certain things because you might get them.

To me, this is a mental challenge for the franchise not physical because they definitely have the ability.

Somehow someway I managed to snag tix for games 1 and 2!

Allright!!!! :g

Who should I look for and where in the stadium?

I'm a bit confused about Rivera's status: earlier today ESPN's website was reporting that he was expected back in time for Game 1. Now ESPN News has a headline that says he's unlikely to play in game 1. So which is it?

Now, there's no question that Flash can close. The problem is, Torre wants to use Flash and Rivera for as many of the last 9 outs as he possibly can, if they have the lead or its close. Without Rivera to cover the last 4, 5 or 6 outs, the Yanks have to go to Quantrill or Heredia and that has the potential to get ugly in a hurry.

Well I'll be in the bleachers somewhere. I've never been out there so it will no doubt be an experience. Needless to say I won't be flaunting my sox cap. I'd rather not get pummeled with beer, fists and hot dogs.

Regarding Mariano, I have to say that I think it's a bit tasteless on the Yankees part to ask this guy to come back. Let the guy mourn his family members for god sake. I don't know, maybe he wants to get back but something tells me Burns and Smithers (Steinbrenner and Cashman) have something to do with it.

From what I've read (for whatever that's worth), they're leaving it up to him to decide if he makes it back, and supplying him with a private plane with which to return. I don't think there's anything more than this that a team can do. I mean, it's the freakin' playoffs, so sure they might gently encourage him to try to get back for the first game. Go Yankees!!!

I think Houston matches up better with the Cards than the Braves would have. They've got the bats to stick with the Cards, and two very good starting pitchers who can shut down a lineup. And I'd be very afraid when Matt Morris pitches against Houston's homer-happy lineup. That will get ugly in a heartbeat if he doesn't somehow keep them in the park.