Music Storage for CDs & LPs

HutchFan

I always enjoy seeing how other music lovers store their collections, so I thought I'd share my latest updates.

Yesterday, I finished up a project that greatly expands my CD storage capacity.  See below:

Shelves.jpg

Formerly, books were on the shelves where CDs are now.  (I moved the books upstairs to our house's main level.)  Next, I added more "inner shelves" -- the unfinished white pine -- allowing two rows of CDs per opening.  Yesterday, I took a PTO day, so I could finish up the carpentry and put everything back. 

It feels really good to have the collection organized again -- with some room for expansion.  :g

I now have four shelving units dedicated solely to music in the basement.  This is the largest unit (by far); it's about 13' wide by 7' tall.

I'd love to see other folks' storage solutions for CDs & vinyl.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So we're too good for random shit all over the floor, are we?

Stuff gets scattered and disorganized over time.  (But not on the floor.  I don't want my cats walking -- or sleeping! -- on my albums. ;))  After awhile, I put it all back.  Then it gets messed up again.  And so on.

But I will admit that I like it when it's organized.  I feel like I can SEE everything better when it's tidy.

7 hours ago, rostasi said:

Music shelves are now book shelves at our house.

Fair enough. . . if streaming floats your boat.  Saving space, convenience, nearly limitless access to music.  I understand why streaming appeals to so many. 

But it's just not my thing.  I still enjoy the collecting, the tangible objects.

42 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Fair enough. . . if streaming floats your boat.  Saving space, convenience, nearly limitless access to music.  I understand why streaming appeals to so many. 

But it's just not my thing.  I still enjoy the collecting, the tangible objects.

Well, I don't really correlate using iTunes with streaming.
The stuff is still stored here. The oooh sooo "tangible" objects
in the tens of thousands are snuck into every nook and cranny -
just not on shelves anymore. A huge amount is already on drives
anyway and I'm pushing 2 million tunes with those, so shelving stuff
has changed - especially after a major house renovation back in 2019.

3 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Well, I don't really correlate using iTunes with streaming.
The stuff is still stored here. The oooh sooo "tangible" objects
in the tens of thousands are snuck into every nook and cranny -
just not on shelves anymore. A huge amount is already on drives
anyway and I'm pushing 2 million tunes with those, so shelving stuff
has changed - especially after a major house renovation back in 2019.

@rostasi, I'm not trying to make any sort of case, either way.  No need for the snark.  Whatever works for you is A-OK. 

And I'll do my thing.  :) 

Nice collections @HutchFan and @Teasing the Korean 😍 

My storage solution comes from IKEA… I’d probably invest in something more beautiful some time but for now this is okay. 

IMG-7467.jpg
IMG-7468.jpg

This is my vinyl separated in two parts. So these are in the ‘music listening’ room or as my two boys call it ‘dads room’ :) it’s forbidden territory for my sons and for my wife if I am not around. I have some space left but its definitely limited in some aspect. 
IMG-7469.jpg

IMG-7470.jpg

Cds and boxed sets are in the living room. I sold quite some of the cds that I had as duplicate on LP. There was one closet that I have removed as 5 are enough for now. This collection probably won’t grow a lot anymore except for music that comes out exclusively on cd. 

Foto-s-2999-van-8521.jpg

Foto-s-3001-van-8521.jpg

Pretty funny I found both of these pictures that are from12 years ago when I was still livening with my parents. Don’t look at how I stored my vinyl back than, the horror!  Music collecting has became a serious business ever since then :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 12:58 PM, HutchFan said:

Two of the shelves in my basement are from IKEA also. :tup

I love the framed albums & glass display case! Very nice touches! 

The shelves in my pic are from Home Depot.  They sold them in the 1990s and early 2000s; not sure why they discontinued them.  They are stackable, so over the years, we bought many of them as the LP accumulation expanded.