Musicmaster, a reliable reference?

porcy62

This site is just a web-based price guide... and a dubious one at that.

If you've seen a Terry Leonard price guide, you'll know how error-prone

it is re: LP pressings and prices. Goldmine dumped his Jazz Price Guide

totally (no back-orders) and handed the 2nd Ed. to the more-responsible

Tim Neely, who thoroughly researched the collectible jazz-selling community.

My advice is two-fold:

Get a recent Neely Goldmine Jazz Price Guide and check Ebay for the last 30 days of bid activity

as a frame for your bidding range.

An Ebay jazz bid-closing is just a frozen moment at a particular time.

There's no need to strictly adhere to any guide as the ultimate arbiter.

Many jazz LPs close at half their 'book' value -- it's just a moment in time.

I must correct the sequence and authorship of Goldmine Jazz Album Price Guides:

1992, 1st ed. -- Terry Leonard, principal author

1994, 2nd ed. -- Neal Umphred, author

2000, 3rd ed. -- Tim Neely, author

As one can surmise, Goldmine didn't wait long to pull their 1st edition.

There was no mention of Terry Leonard in the 2nd ed. acknowlegements.

• 9 months later...

BILL NELSON

The first jazz record album price guide was by Charles Johnson and done for O'Sullivan-Woodisde around 1985. It was a noble effort, quite different in layout from Osborne or my book (I had just published the 1985-86 ROCK RECORD ALBUM PRICE GUIDE for the same company), and included a lot of EPs, which were almost irrelevant at the time. Unfortunately, it carried on the Osborne tradition that I was attempting to render historical: common records were ludicrously overvalued (Miles' Columbia albums of the '60s were in the $40-50 range at a time when they were comfortably under $10 almost anywhere in the known universe).

At the same time, really rare records were astonishingly undervalued. I fought (vainly, alas) to get Don Woodside to allow me to redo all of the values assigned in the book but was assured that Mr Johnson knew jazz better than I and that I should stick with rock & roll. . .

This was followed, years later, by the Goldmine effort: if you have seen Mr Leonard's guide, you will know why it was deleted.

I am responsible for two "Jazz Record Album Price Guides" that were published by Krause, but I need to make a point here. The books with my name on them are my books. That is, all of the copyrights are mine, including the "dress", or "look", of the book. They were published by Kruase using the Goldmine name.

The books with Mr Neely's name are Krause's books (that is, Tim does "work for hire" with all of the rights in KP's name) using the Goldmine name. This might explain a few things about these books, such as why Goldmine changed the discographical layout so drastically. "Their" book couldn't look like my book.

Hope this helps!

NEAL

PS: Hope Organissimo reders don't mind some of my affectations, such as bold print, the use of ellipses, or an occasional "blah blah blah". . .

Brothers, let's focus on the positives here. :)

Neal, nice to see your name here. I have enjoyed using your 1992 book as a handy reference guide for many years (I rarely even look at the prices, actually, but I haven't been an LP collector since the book came out). Bottom line, it's been a very nice resource. Thanks. :tup

I'm not being funny. There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with eyesight problems (yes, I have glasses too). If you have trouble reading small type, set your web browser's "Minimum font size" to something larger - in Netscape this is Edit, Preferences, Appearance, Fonts.

Having everything in bold is just as difficult to read and it rudely distracts from the contributions of others.

Thanks -

Mike

For those of us who are still attracted to vinyl, the 2nd Edition of the Goldmine guide authored by Neal is by far the best reference available in terms of overall content. Mr. Umphred has a genuine passion for the jazz medium on vinyl, and it shows in his work.

I for one am happy to have him and his extensive knowledge become a part of this site. It doesn't matter one bit to me if he chooses to post in bold letters or any other manner.

Neal, nice to see your name here. I have enjoyed using your 1992 book as a handy reference guide for many years (I rarely even look at the prices, actually, but I haven't been an LP collector since the book came out). Bottom line, it's been a very nice resource. Thanks. :tup

Dito, for me. It's always within arms reach.

I'm not being funny. There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with eyesight problems (yes, I have glasses too). If you have trouble reading small type, set your web browser's "Minimum font size" to something larger - in Netscape this is Edit, Preferences, Appearance, Fonts.

Having everything in bold is just as difficult to read and it rudely distracts from the contributions of others.

Thanks -

Mike

Bless you, my son. As one who relies on eye-crutches, in leu of a dog or a cane, your advice is welcome.

But, the only way to read the liners enclosed in many jazz re-issues on CD with the original cover notes, reduced, is with a magnifying glass. Can anyone read them with their original-issue eyeballs?? The print on the liners in CDs is often reduced in size, to fit in the booklet, from the original cover notes, especially on old jazz re-issues. Why do they do that??

Yet another reason to buy vinyl. The cover notes are in print that a person who is slightly sight-challenged can read.:D

Edited by patricia

Well, I have to say that Mike does have a point- although it's more of an issue with some folks more than others. I'd rather not see all bold, or all caps, or even all lower case, but as long as the person has something to offer and a good attitude, I'm glad to have them join in.

We may blame Neal for breaching board posting ettiquette, but only gently. It's a common error. Many feel that bold type is easier to read, unaware that it's a posting gaffe.

It's not a hanging offence though.

However, many think of posting all in bold type or caps as "shouting", so frown on it.

I, like Jim and everyone here am pleased when new people come into the fold and we welcome Neal. :wub:

Edited by patricia

PS: Hope Organissimo reders don't mind some of my affectations, such as bold print, the use of ellipses, or an occasional "blah blah blah". . .

Neal, a hearty welcome here!

From somebody who does not mind the bold print.

One of my favorite reference book is the 1994 edition of the Goldmine Price Guide. The format was perfect.

And wanted for a long time to chastize you for mispelling Byron Allen. He was no Bryon :excited:

But that's OK, this was a long time ago and everything is forgiven now!

Glad to have you with us...

Many of us do blah, blah, blah here. And some not occasionally, but all the time :P

EVERWON

I do not spend a whole lotta time on line. It seems absurd to me that posting in any style is considered "rude" or "impolite". If someone were to send in a lengthy post in all CAPS, I probably wouldn't read as it is a strain on the eyes. So is sans serif print, which is the most common type on the net.

Ho hum and blah blah blah. . .

NEAL

PS: Thanks for alla the Welcomes. They are truly appreciated.