OK, I am an idiot . . . .

Aftab

The Tony Williams Lifetime is TW, John McLaughlin, and Larry Young!?!?!

Where the heck have I been for 30 or so years!!?!?!

and why didn't any of you guys tell me? :)

Anyway, just picked this up last night - smokin'!

Also had to get Santana/McLaughlin for more JM/LY magic.

Is there anything else I need to know :D

also - sorry I haven't been around lately- Easter is a busy time for me - life should be a bit more normal now. Sharingthegroove.org has got my attention recently as well.

:excited:

Is there anything else I need to know  :D

Yes.

young_larry_lovecrywa_101b.jpg

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=U...l=A39ktk6jxekrh

42 seconds of one of the tunes can be heard here: http://www.newjazz.com (scroll down a bit, look for the album cover).

Fascinating!! :w

If I find any other audio-clips, I'll update this post.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Tony Williams also had another group he called Lifetime, with Allan Holdsworth, Alan Pasqua & ?(Can't remember the guy's name.)Their stuff was very much in the fusion mode.

I think that's the group I was thinking of when I thought of Lifetime - not the sweetness of LY/JM/TW

Tony Newton was the bassist in the Holdsworth/Pasqua version. First album (Believe It) pretty good with a monster solo by Holdsworth on "Fred" - second album (Million Dollar Legs) pretty much crap. These are on a twofer CD by Columbia.

Lifetime name was used by Williams for a number of groups. Another one would be the 1971 band with Ted Dunbar and Larry Young - they recorded one album (Ego) for Polydor. Reissued by Verve. See the Ted Dunbar discography on my website for details.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

EGO is pretty damn good. It should be much better known than it is.

THE OLD BUM'S RUSH is shaky at times, but still something you owe it to yourself to hear.

First album (Believe It) pretty good with a monster solo by Holdsworth on "Fred" - second album (Million Dollar Legs) pretty much crap.

My sentiments exactly.

d84169ux3mc.jpg

John McLaughlin, "Electric Guitarist" is an interesting collection from 1978. He recorded this group of tunes with different musicians that he had played with over the years. So, you get tunes with combinations like:

JM, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Jack DeJohnette

JM, Jack Bruce, Tony Williams

JM, Billy Cobham, Jerry Goodman, Stu Goldberg, Fernando Saunders

I think it's a budget album, too, so it is probably available for pretty cheap.

I just picked up 'Ego' last week for $6.99, and I've really enjoyed it. I bought it out of teenage memory, as my sister had it when it first came out, and I remembered that 'Some Hip Drum Shit' was fantastic. The rest of the disc is really good if you can look past the vocals(Thankfully, not much of them) of TW.

'Electric Guitarist' is a very good disc, with an incendiary duet with McLaughlin and Cobham on 'Phenomenon:Compulsion'. The cut with TW and Jack Bruce, 'Are You the One' is also a keeper. Well worth getting.