Frank Hewitt - WE LOVED HIM (on smalls records)

JSngry

Jim, thanks much for this thread, and Luke, thanks for your thoughts and updates.  I'm ordering both Hewitts today and will order the quintet date when it comes out this fall... one more reason to love the autumn.

Me too I ordered both of these today fom CDbaby, & I finally ordered a certain organ trio's debut CD while I was there (I thought it was about time I paid my dues).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been fortunate to hear Frank Hewitt at Smalls numerous times and enjoyed his playing immensely. Him and Lovelace were there every night, it seemed. In my opinion he was just about the only piano player in New York who was doing straight bop gigs on a daily basis during '99-'02 or so, the years I used to go to Smalls. I even remember an orthodox Rabbi who sat in one night on the drums with Frank and Co. Wasn't too bad.

I should have a few rolls of b/w Tri-max film I used to shoot over there. Might have some shots of FH..

...or maybe "interlude"...anyway, the first three chords are...

E-7f5/ Ef7+11 /D-

what he plays on D-....is, well...pretty wild. There's a B natural note on top of the chord (which replaces the usual A natural note that's held throughout the interlude)and lord knows what's underneath, it's pretty dense. I haven't tried to see what it is but, it actually sounds intentional the more you listen. It's very hip.

Edited by Soul Stream

I can't believe I missed this thread before.

This is an example of EXACTLY why I got sucked into these forums in the first place.

I'm WAY overdue for a first order from CDBaby, considering the interest you guys have roused in me towards Randy Sandke, and now Frank Hewitt!

Plus, I have to get taste of our benevolent hosts, Organissimo!

OK, call me impulsive, but I just place my first CD Baby order, as follows:

1 of: FRANK HEWITT: we loved you ($12.97 each)

1 of: RANDY SANDKE: outside in ($15.00 each)

1 of: ORGANISSIMO: waiting for the boogaloo sisters ($12.99 each)

1 of: TEO MACERO: sampler (FREE!)

1 of: ANTHONY BROWN'S ASIAN AMERICAN ORCHESTRA WITH STEVE LACY:

monk's moods ($15.00 each)

Thanks, Mike.

Honestly, I don't listen to much jazz radio, except for the Harvard Station, WHRB (got to love their orgies, where they play EVERYTHING by an artist, composer, or label--often with Jack Wolker AKA Stereo Jack's participation), and Charlie Kohlhase's stints on the MIT station, WMBR, when I get a chance.

I'm looking forward to wallowing in these CD Baby discs...

Edited by Kalo

Someone commented here on Frank modifications to Night In Tunisia. As you probably figured out, it wasn't a clam, but one of Frank's quirky ways of reworking a tune. I thought I would share comments from Chris Byars, who was the regular saxophonist in Hewitt's Saturday night quintet, on what was going on in that tune:

Chris Byars:

"The thing that makes "Tunisia" sound so bizarre is the note Frank keeps hammering in the left thumb on the A sections - a C# that goes through both Eb7 and D minor chords. Combine that with his altering of the last two notes of the melody (which should end G# A, he ends F and G together to F# and G# together) it gives the tune a different harmonic content. It's great because as hip as it is, this tune is so, so, so, so cliché at this point - it needed some innovation."

Someone commented here on Frank modifications to Night In Tunisia.  As you probably figured out, it wasn't a clam, but one of Frank's quirky ways of reworking a tune.  I thought I would share comments from Chris Byars, who was the regular saxophonist in Hewitt's Saturday night quintet, on what was going on in that tune:

Chris Byars:

"The thing that makes "Tunisia" sound so bizarre is the note Frank keeps hammering in the left thumb on the A sections - a C# that goes through both Eb7 and D minor chords. Combine that with his altering of the last two notes of the melody (which should end G# A, he ends F and G together to F# and G# together) it gives the tune a different harmonic content. It's great because as hip as it is, this tune is so, so, so, so cliché at this point - it needed some innovation."

Thanks for letting us in on that! By the way, is that a interview with Chris Byars that is available on the web, or just a personal comment made to you? Thanks. :D

Thanks for letting us in on that!  By the way, is that a interview with Chris Byars that is available on the web, or just a personal comment made to you?  Thanks. :D

Actually, Chris had also remarked on that particular tune, so I asked him to elaborate on what was novel about it in his view. I could hear the modifications to the melody with the reharmonization, but Chris is one of the few people who understands Frank inside and out. What I posted was his reply to my question. But given how good a resource Chris is, I think I will ask him to talk to us at greater length about the deeper aspects of Hewitt's music. It is timely with the upcoming release of the Hewitt Quintet disk (Four Hundred Saturdays) on which Byars appears.

It comes as no surprise to me that many of Hewitt's fans from this forum are -- obviously -- people with a music background and advanced ideas. The well-prepared are likely to discern more earlier on. Others are more likely to put down the disk before getting anywhere with it.

Luke

Thanks for letting us in on that!  By the way, is that a interview with Chris Byars that is available on the web, or just a personal comment made to you?  Thanks. :D

Actually, Chris had also remarked on that particular tune, so I asked him to elaborate on what was novel about it in his view. I could hear the modifications to the melody with the reharmonization, but Chris is one of the few people who understands Frank inside and out. What I posted was his reply to my question. But given how good a resource Chris is, I think I will ask him to talk to us at greater length about the deeper aspects of Hewitt's music. It is timely with the upcoming release of the Hewitt Quintet disk (Four Hundred Saturdays) on which Byars appears.

It comes as no surprise to me that many of Hewitt's fans from this forum are -- obviously -- people with a music background and advanced ideas. The well-prepared are likely to discern more earlier on. Others are more likely to put down the disk before getting anywhere with it.

Luke

Luke,

It would be great if you could get Chris to participate in this discussion of Frank and his music. Thanks for all your help and enlightenment. :D

It comes as no surprise to me that many of Hewitt's fans from this forum are -- obviously -- people with a music background and advanced ideas.  The well-prepared are likely to discern more earlier on.  Others are more likely to put down the disk before getting anywhere with it. 

Luke

I have no musical background, advanced ideas or even a basic understanding of music theory. Despite my shortcomings I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two Hewitt releases and look forward to the quintet recording.

I have no musical background, advanced ideas or even a basic understanding of music theory.  Despite my shortcomings  I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two Hewitt releases and look forward to the quintet recording.

No slight was intended against those who did not study music. I would suggest that you do have some advanced concepts, good aesthetic intuitions, and a good tacit understanding that you got on your own, even if you didn't study. Consider that a talent. But also remember that for most of his life, Frank was a musician's musician, and his fans were mostly among the cats in the house.

I've asked Chris Byars to join the thread. Right now, I'm awaiting his return from Japan. After he gets over his jet lag, he should be joining us.

Luke

I have no musical background, advanced ideas or even a basic understanding of music theory.  Despite my shortcomings  I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two Hewitt releases and look forward to the quintet recording.

No slight was intended against those who did not study music. I would suggest that you do have some advanced concepts, good aesthetic intuitions, and a good tacit understanding that you got on your own, even if you didn't study. Consider that a talent. But also remember that for most of his life, Frank was a musician's musician, and his fans were mostly among the cats in the house.

I've asked Chris Byars to join the thread. Right now, I'm awaiting his return from Japan. After he gets over his jet lag, he should be joining us.

Luke

cool, can't wait. :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

details of Frank's new quintet disc are up on the Smalls Records website but it's not obviously available to buy. Ordered the Sacha Perry and Backstabber discs for the time being....

CD Baby received a carton of Four Hundred Saturdays yesterday. They should be available in a day or two. Official release date is October 11, but who wants to wait?

Luke

CD Baby received a carton of Four Hundred Saturdays yesterday.  They should be available in a day or two.  Official release date is October 11, but who wants to wait?

Luke

Not me , I've enjoy the two previous Frank Hewitt Cds very very much. I'll place an order with CD baby when its on there.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I just put the piece I did on We Loved You on my website--

http://www.ndorward.com/music/hewitt_welovedyou.htm

& sent in a piece to Cadence on the one with Hayes (so it'll take about 2-4 months to appear, most likely).

It's in the issue that came the other day. Nice review, Nate. :tup

I'll second that, excellent review.. :tup

I've really been enjoying the first Hewitt disc, and will surely purchase the others in due time.

Thanks to Jim Sangrey for the original heads up!