NBA Playoffs...

on the few times kobe took it to the hole/hoop last night, he was hit by three pistons and landed on the ground and NO foul????

happened about 4/5 times last night.

kobe shot only 2 foul shots, what'z up wit' dat?

he only was only fouled once the entire game?

he was forcing/shooting the ball crazy last night

where the fuck is kobe's pump-fake?

will shaq steal the tip for the 5th game in a row?

ss1

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact of life - when you get fouled when you drive to the basket and nothing is called, you tend to resort to taking jump shots.

So you're saying that every time the Lakers drive to the basket they are getting fouled but no call? Yeah... that's why Detroit got to the Finals. Because their defense is a myth and the refs are turning a blind eye.

That's why Rasheed played his first full second quarter of the series last night. Those two fouls that the refs have hit him with in the previous three games were... uh, what?

I've been reading and hearing so much whining from Laker fans about the refs. It's all the refs fault. I mean, how else can you explain why the Lakers haven't swept the Pistons, like everyone thought?

Maybe because the Lakers are old, tired, slow, and do not play as a team. Shaq does great in the first half but all the running the Pistons make him do tire him out. Throw him the ball all you want in the second half. He will not be as effective because he's tired.

Payton vs. Billups is a joke. Billups mops the floor with Payton. Same for 'Sheed vs. Malone. Prince has been doing a tremendous job on Kobe, contesting every shot and forcing him to take wild shots from odd angles as the clock runs down.

Besides, I though officials gave preferrential treatment to superstars... who are the superstars on the Pistons roster?

Face the facts... the Lakers are lucky to be in the Finals in the first place (thanks to Fischer's lucky, but should've been discounted shot against the Spurs) and they completely under-estimated the Pistons. They have been completely unpredictable the entire season... swinging from terrible to amazing back to terrible again due to the massive egos floating around on that team. They are frustrated and thus fouling more and have absolutely no answer for the Pistons.

And no team has ever come back from 3-1. You can blame the refs all you want but the simple fact is that the Lakers have been outplayed. Even Magic thinks so. The passion just isn't there.

WHOA!!! Slow down, partner. If you didn't notice, I closed the post prior with,

Hey, I realize that there a lot of other reasons why the Lakers are trailing this series 3 games to 1. It just would be nice to see the rest of this series (whether 1 more game or 3) officiated more evenly and objectively.

I guess, though, that ANY complaint that Lakers players/coaches/fans utter are to be completely discredited as just being sour grapes. However, I have watched a LOT of basketball over the years, and I stand by my remarks. But let's make certain that we are on the same page.

I did NOT say that the Lakers are getting fouled every time that they drive to the basket, without the benefit of receiving a call. It has happened a number of times in this series, however, and if you do not think that it affects how a player approaches a game, then you are sorely mistaken.

I DID say that the Pistons players seem to be getting away with a lot more physical play on the defensive end than the Lakers players. Deny it if you like, but I know what I have seen.

Who questioned why the Detroit Pistons made it to the Finals? Not I! I did NOT say that the Pistons defense is a myth, nor did I say that the referees have been paying a blind eye to Detroit throughout this season or throughout the playoffs. I only commented on what I have observed happening during this series.

Rasheed has always had trouble (i.e., he has gotten into foul trouble) when he has tried to guard Shaq. Just ask the Trailblazers. How many Lakers-Trailblazers games did you watch while Rasheed was still playing for Portland?

I am sure that some Lakers fans have blamed the Lakers' poor performance in this series entirely on the referees. I have said nothing as drastic, and any inferences to the contrary are completely unfounded.

I hope that the Lakers do throw the ball more to Shaq during the second half. Then we will see how tired the Pistons have made him.

Rasheed Wallace has "mopped the floor" with Malone? I don't think so. Before game 4, Rasheed was averaging 9.3 pts. and 8.3 rebounds in about 30 minutes per game. If Malone were healthy, the Wallaces' numbers would be down significantly. As I have stated before, Malone's injury is just tough luck for the Lakers.

It is obvious that Payton has lost a step or two, but Kobe is getting bumped all the time that he is handling the ball. I would not have a problem with this if the Lakers were afforded the same luxury on defense.

I wrote that I had been watching playoff basketball for over 20 years now and that I had come to expect superstars and the home team to receive preferential treatment from the referees even though I did not like it. My whole point is that it seems as though the Pistons are receiving preferential treatment because they have a reputation (albeit well-deserved) of playing exceptional defense.

I would not say that the Lakers are "lucky" to be in the NBA Finals. The Lakers posted a 56-26 record during the regular season (despite Malone's prolonged absence), where on average they got to the free throw line more often per game than any other team in the league. Now, suddently, they cannot buy a foul. (BTW, do you know how much time should have been left on the clock the moment that Duncan's last shot in game 5 swished through the net? I am positive that if the timekeepers had stopped the clock the instant that the ball went through the net [as they are supposed to strive to do], then Fisher would have had more than 0.4 seconds to make that miraculous shot. As it was, the NBA denied the Spurs' protest, ruling that the game clock "started appropriately". End of story.)

I do not doubt that the Lakers underestimated the Pistons. I also do not deny that the Lakers season has been a rollercoaster ride, although I would attribute their down stretches to something more than just massive egos. Surely Karl Malone missing about one-half of the regular season did not help matters, but obviously there is the risk of such injury related absences from any player, not just older ones.

I agree that the Lakers have committed some stupid fouls out of frustration, especially as the games have progressed, but that has NOT been the entire story. You are entitled to your viewpoint.

Remember, it ain't over until it's over. In 1981, the two best teams in the NBA (the Celtics and the '76ers, both sporting 62-20 records) met in the Eastern Conference Finals. The Celtics dropped three of the first four games to the '76ers before winning the remaining three games (two at home) by a combined total of 5 points. The Celtics then went on to beat the Rockets in the Finals in 6 games.

Don't worry, b3-er. I AM a betting man, and I would not bet that the Lakers are going to recover to win this series. More likely than not, you will soon be celebrating your team's triumph, and Lakers fans will have to wait to see what will transpire during the offseason. Still, the season is not over yet, and hope does spring eternal.

Edited by Edward

Ok, so I came out with guns blazing and I apologize. But I've just been hearing and reading a lot of people complaining about the refs and saying that the Pistons championship will be handed to them by the refs, which is insulting.

I've been watching basketball a long time too and the refs are not perfect. But they are consistent. They consistently give the team with more energy and who is playing harder the benefit of the doubt. And the Pistons are playing with more energy and more passion than the Lakers.

[

A short while later Rasheed was whistled for a foul call and screamed "that's bullshit" at the top of his lungs numerous times at the ref, looking like he was going to cry, yet not so much as a warning was given to the known hothead for his tantrum.

...I would agree that Rasheed has gotten away with a few of his tantrums. In the Indiana series, he threw a fit, stormed 20 rows up the aisle, moaing and bitchin' the whole way and nothing :o . That said, I hope the Pistons kick the Laker's asses in the next and final game of the season B) !

In baseball, the umps strike zones are variable. Those who adjust succeed, those who don't, don't.

Same with football refs and pass interference calls. Those who adjust succeed, those who don't, don't.

Same with being a musician and paying your bills. Those who adjust succeed, those who don't, don't.

There seems to be a pattern here...

(not sure it applies to hockey, though :g )

In baseball, the umps strike zones are variable. Those who adjust succeed, those who don't, don't.

Same with football refs and pass interference calls. Those who adjust succeed, those who don't, don't.

Same with being a musician and paying your bills. Those who adjust succeed, those who don't, don't.

There seems to be a pattern here...

(not sure it applies to hockey, though :g )

Sometimes in baseball you get things like that ol' "Atlanta strike zone" that favored the Braves' 90s team...

Or in football you have THE FUCKING FUMBLE THAT THE REFS BLATANTLY LIED AND CALLED AN INCOMPLETE PASS WHEN THE RAIDERS WERE ABOUT TO WIN ON THE ROAD IN NEW ENGLAND AND GO TO THE SUPERBOWL...

Sometimes refs cheat.

Ok, so I came out with guns blazing and I apologize. But I've just been hearing and reading a lot of people complaining about the refs and saying that the Pistons championship will be handed to them by the refs, which is insulting.

I've been watching basketball a long time too and the refs are not perfect. But they are consistent. They consistently give the team with more energy and who is playing harder the benefit of the doubt. And the Pistons are playing with more energy and more passion than the Lakers.

No need to apologize, Jim. It is insulting, and if I were a Pistons fan I would be pissed too. Still, I do not like the way that this series has been handled by the referees. Generally, I think that the bad calls in a game or series tend to balance out. In this series, however, I think that the Lakers are getting called for a lot of ticky-tack fouls, fouls that are also being committed by Pistons players on the other end of the hardwood. It is a little more difficult for a player to adjust when the game is not being called evenly on both ends of the floor. This is my opinion, and obviously there are other reasons why the Lakers are presently trailing 1-3.

Or in football you have THE FUCKING FUMBLE THAT THE REFS BLATANTLY LIED AND CALLED AN INCOMPLETE PASS WHEN THE RAIDERS WERE ABOUT TO WIN ON THE ROAD IN NEW ENGLAND AND GO TO THE SUPERBOWL...

Christ, Noj,

Don't tell me you are amongst the ranks of Oakland Raider whiners... <_<

That call was made because it was in the rule book. You could argue that the rule is not a good one, but the refs simply judged that it was not a fumble as interpreted by the rulebook.

Instant replay didn't overturn it. These types of calls are judgment-based and could go either way.

No football fan need get overly wound up about them. That's football.

Raider fans should lament the fact that their team was unable to stop Tom Brady afterwards when it counted. It didn't matter what happened on that play. The Patriots still needed to score...and they did.

Lay some blame where it belongs: the Raiders couldn't stop them when they needed to. :rfr

Christ, Noj,

That call was made because it was in the rule book. You could argue that the rule is not a good one, but the refs simply judged that it was not a fumble as interpreted by the rulebook.

Instant replay didn't overturn it. These types of calls are judgment-based and could go either way.

Raider fans should lament the fact that their team was unable to stop Tom Brady afterwards when it counted. It didn't matter what happened on that play. The Patriots still needed to score...and they did.

Lay some blame where it belongs: the Raiders couldn't stop them when they needed to. :rfr

You Patriot fans!!! :P

May I remind you guys of the 1986 playoffs when the Patriots were called for a highly questionable "roughing the passer" penalty while winning the game. The Raiders went on to win the game, and the Super Bowl.

You don't hear us Pats fans whining about that kind of garbage.

You see, if the Pats were good enough, they would have found a way to win anyway.

Same for the Oakland Raiders of 2002.

Now stop your whining.... :lol: -_- :g

May I remind you guys of the 1986 playoffs when the Patriots were called for a highly questionable "roughing the passer" penalty while winning the game. The Raiders went on to win the game, and the Super Bowl.

You don't hear us Pats fans whining about that kind of garbage.

You see, if the Pats were good enough, they would have found a way to win anyway.

Same for the Oakland Raiders of 2002.

Now stop your whining.... :lol: -_- :g

You mean 1984, right? In 1986, the Patriots DID make it to the Super Bowl only to be dispatched 46-10 by an awesome Chicago Bears team.

Christ, Noj,

It was(and is) a lousy rule, but the refs called it correctly. Can't blame the officials on this one, blame whoever made the rule.

If the Lakers are looking for scapegoats, look at the boxscore(I can't stay up late enough to see the whole game- must rise early for work and the games end around 11:30 P.M. E.S.T.) for game 4. Two players in double figures for the Lakers- that's it! Kobe shoots for a cruddy percentage. But it's the refs??!! :rfr

:bwallace::bwallace::bwallace::bwallace::bwallace:

So...how much moola would one have made betting lets say a grand on Detroit winning in 5 games???

Kobe and Shaq needed to be knocked down a peg or two...Would feel sorry for Malone, but after seeing that cheap shot he put on some much smaller guy earlier in the playoffs...to hell with him! I love underdogs, way to go Pistons!!!!

Even I don't feel sorry for Malone.

I hope no one takes these sports arguments personally. Don't hate me for my loyalties! :g

I may think the Lakers were screwed, but obviously it is not the consensus and I am well aware of my bias. I am also aware that without a healthy Mailman, the Lakers were not even close to the same threat.

Win some, lose some.